Question about larger atmo turbos

skobiak

Reaction score
I see lots of people on this forum suggesting that a larger atmosphere charger is a quick and easy upgrade. My question is how many people have upgraded just the turbo and NOT blown something else up shortly after? From reading you get the impression that you can do this. I am just looking for some feedback from people who have actually installed one. I personally think you need studs and a tranny minimum to run one. Please prove me wrong.

Powerstroked162

On Da Juice
Reaction score
JD will gladly do that lol. He was making good power on stock everything with just a 71 atmo for awhile. 615-630 ish iirc.

skobiak

Reaction score
Its all in how you drive it and what size tune you run. I have upgraded turbos on all stock running a strong street tune. ZERO issues.

That, I agree with. I have 35000km on an intake, tune, and exhaust truck with zero issues. I really want to say eff it and get a 71, but I already feel like I am playing Russian roulette, lol.

forcefed6.4ford

Reaction score
I've got over 130,000km tuned (smallest I run is around 275hp) and 35,000 on my turbos. Never been in the shop once. If it breaks, it breaks.

My 08 I flogged the hell out of with 275V2 (I miss that tune) and broke pistons, blew head gaskets and soften up convertors and tranny's.

jdgleason

Reaction score
I followed that thread. I recall him saying he didn't reccomend his setup to anyone also.

Don't believe I ever said I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, just that I didn't want anyone to think I was saying that my truck was the standard. I took extra care of all my maintenance etc, and I've owned it since new. Didn't need anyone mad at me because they put a 72 on their 3rd owner work truck at 200k and needed a trans.

I do believe 100% that if your motor and trans are healthy, that you will be able to run an atmosphere for a long time before the inevitable happens. I believe that after a while, even a truck with just a tune will need at the very least a trans.

Back to your question though - I still have a stock vgt with a 76, and the truck runs great! Spools fast, runs cool, no dead spots, cleans up fuel real well also.

Tree Trimmer

Reaction score
Don't believe I ever said I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, just that I didn't want anyone to think I was saying that my truck was the standard. I took extra care of all my maintenance etc, and I've owned it since new. Didn't need anyone mad at me because they put a 72 on their 3rd owner work truck at 200k and needed a trans.

I do believe 100% that if your motor and trans are healthy, that you will be able to run an atmosphere for a long time before the inevitable happens. I believe that after a while, even a truck with just a tune will need at the very least a trans.

Back to your question though - I still have a stock vgt with a 76, and the truck runs great! Spools fast, runs cool, no dead spots, cleans up fuel real well also.

didn't you state somewhere, that you recommended a waste gate with anything over stock turbo's though?

that the majority of the issues that arise from larger than stock turbos can be resolved with the use a gate?

skobiak

Reaction score

What u said is what I was getting at. Sorry for the mis quote.

jdgleason

Reaction score
didn't you state somewhere, that you recommended a waste gate with anything over stock turbo's though?

that the majority of the issues that arise from larger than stock turbos can be resolved with the use a gate?

I do recommend a gate, but I did run several atmos without one. Having a gate in mine is good for peace of mind - and allows me to control the turbos better. Elite has modded turbines in their vgt's, so that always helps with back pressure which may alleviate the need for a gate for some guys.

6.0dirtworker

Reaction score
Couldn't agree more with the above posts. Ran a 71, then stepped to a 59/76 for 20k miles with no issues.

MrMike2010

Reaction score
I've been running elites 71 for 15k miles or so. Have 6 dyno pulls and about a dozen track passes with it. Stock studs, stock trans with the egr still intact. No problems so far. My truck has been tuned since 2k miles and now has 62k. I do drive it very sensibly everyday, but I'm not easy on it either. I don't expect for it to last forever tho so I've been slowly buying all the parts I need to bullet proof it when the day comes.

3brorce

Reaction score
Got the 73mm atmo on today with some other goodies so shall see how it goes.

Highroller54

Reaction score
I want to try a 72mm on stock bolts, scared of cracking a block with studs because that would be just my luck. If some guys have done it with success I will try it.

Blowby

Reaction score
71 Atmo here and no problem but I do have a WG that opens at about mid 50's BP. Still pulls hard with some H&S tuning mod's. Intake, exhaust, cold air IC and DPF/EGR delete.

IMG_2129.jpg

Sheet31.jpg

B585Ford

Reaction score
When I blew a HG, I did studs and the Elite 71. That was 1.5 yrs ago and put 26k since then. 80% of those miles were towing and grossing up to 33500 or so. I have never had an issue with this turbo.

Latest posts

Members online