Question for the Fabricators

TooMuch03

Reaction score
I am looking at building my own up-pipes, intermediate pipes and CAC pipes this winter. I have been looking around and doing some research on where to get mandrel bent components. I can weld, but I do not have a big fancy shop or the latest welding equipment, just a simple MIG welder. My question is for those who have built there own up-pipes, what material did you use (t304, t409 like stock up-pipes, or mild steel like stock CAC pipes) and where did you get it from?

I am looking for the best value. I don't want to spend thousands more than I need to on plumbing but I don't want to buy material that will fall apart in a year or two. Since, I am just a backyard fabricator, I think mild steel would be easiest for me to weld and work with, but how would it hold up in this application? Just looking for some input from guys who have done this before, and what has worked, and what hasn't. Thanks

BlueWaffle

Reaction score
i moonlight as a welder on the side. i've got some pretty good stuff out there but as far as where to get it, i'm sure matt will chime in...

Cutting-Edge Diesel

Reaction score
304 for up pipes. I use 409 for turbo piping if it's going to be coated. Colombia river mandrel is where I order most of my stuff. I wouldn't use mild steel unless you coat it inside and out but even then I wouldn't want to use it. I wouldn't want rust on the inside of my pipes.

TooMuch03

Reaction score
Thanks Matt, I have checked out Columbia River, they seem to ave some of the best prices. Where do you get the flange to bolt the up-pipes to the stock exhaust manifolds? does Columbia River have something that works?

DBQLSC

Reaction score
If you really want to go cheap, sometimes dealerships will have cac pipes sitting out back in the scrap bin. At least here they do. Better to replace the whole boot and pipe assembly then just a boot I guess.:shrug:

Latest posts

Members online