Question for the Wheel Spacer Haters/Lovers (Whichever category you may fall in)

Josh923

Reaction score
I recently purchased a set of 18x12 -44 wheels to go with my 37/13.50r18 wheels. I was running an 18x8.75 +12 before. The 8.75"s rubbed very badly on my leaf springs. The 18x12's added about 1/2" of clearance, but I still rub slightly on my leaf springs. I don't like this.
Everyone either says, "don't do wheel spacers because my cousin's buddies lifelong friend's sister's brother screwed his truck up with them.." or "if you DO buy wheel spacers, don't cheap out. Buy spacers made from quality material."

Well, here's where my question lies:
95% of the $400-$800 sets I've seen are made from T6-6061 Billet aircraft aluminum (every now and then I'll find a steel set that is $900). This material is advertised as 3x stronger than steel and/or even factory wheels. Well, I've found several sets on ebay for 1/5 of the price that are ALSO made from T6-6061 aircraft aluminum and are hub-centric. I'm not looking into getting anything bigger than 1". Am I missing something?
I can't justify spending as much on 4 spacers as I did on my fuel wheels just to prevent some rubbing. That can't be necessary.

JMart

Reaction score
Add more lift, or don't turn as sharp.

FYI if you run 1" spacers you have to cut off your lugs.

Josh923

Reaction score
Add more lift, or don't turn as sharp.

FYI if you run 1" spacers you have to cut off your lugs.

I have an 8" lift AND a ranch hand front bumper. I clear perfectly fine in that aspect. I could honestly fit 40s and be good. It's the leaf spring clearance that is causing problems.. And no amount of lift changes that. Only wheel width/tire width, offset/backs pacing, and spacers.
These are massive trucks with already poor turn radii. That isn't an option.

Do you have to cut lug length with 2" spacers?

Last edited:

Jason

Reaction score
You don't have to cut off lugs with 2" spacers. For 1", I could see it as they would hit the back of the wheel keeping it from sitting properly. I ran 2" billet spacers on my '00 single cab f250 2wd with 2011 20" wheels, and had no issues. Use the proper spacers, proper lug nuts, and you will be fine. Definitely don't go cheap on them.

Jonnydime

Reaction score
Anything 1.5" and over and you should be fine lug length wise. At least that was my experience with an obs axle.

Josh923

Reaction score
You don't have to cut off lugs with 2" spacers. For 1", I could see it as they would hit the back of the wheel keeping it from sitting properly. I ran 2" billet spacers on my '00 single cab f250 2wd with 2011 20" wheels, and had no issues. Use the proper spacers, proper lug nuts, and you will be fine. Definitely don't go cheap on them.
Good to hear from someone with actual experience. If you don't mind me asking, what do you mean by proper lugs? Is there a special lug needed when using spacers? Like I said, I want to do it all RIGHT, just don't feel it's necessary to spend $900. Thank you!
Anything 1.5" and over and you should be fine lug length wise. At least that was my experience with an obs axle.

Good deal. Well I'll shoot for a 1.5" or 2" then.

Jason

Reaction score
Lug nuts I meant. On your wheels. May reguire acorn style to help seat the wheel properly, sorry. My 2" spacers put the factory lug JUST flush with the spacer. I paid $250 for a set off of a friend. He had them on a cclb truck, and towed a 40' fifth wheel no issues.

Josh923

Reaction score
Lug nuts I meant. On your wheels. May reguire acorn style to help seat the wheel properly, sorry. My 2" spacers put the factory lug JUST flush with the spacer. I paid $250 for a set off of a friend. He had them on a cclb truck, and towed a 40' fifth wheel no issues.

10-4. I actually have a set of acorn lugs on there now so should be good!

Jonnydime

Reaction score

I just went and checked and my spacers were 2" thick not 1.5" so disregard my last post.

Josh923

Reaction score
I just went and checked and my spacers were 2" thick not 1.5" so disregard my last post.

Thank you for checking! Looks like I'll just go with 2". Are the spacers identical as far as front axle/rear axle is concerned or are they different sizes or anything?
I drive a SRW 4WD.

Jason

Reaction score
Dahahahahaha.

Must've stopped reading before the "badass" part. I forgot that 11" of rubber sticking out oast the body is the new thing, my bad, carry on. Didn't mean to be judgemental, and stuffs.

Latest posts

Members online