Question on doing 2wd Ball Joints?

Got Smoke?

Reaction score
Is it possible to take the knuckle loose on my 97 2wd dually with the spindle/rotor assembly intact to replace the ball joints?

Got Smoke?

Reaction score
Are you asking if the rotor needs to be pulled?

Basically, I'm wondering if the hub *has* to be disassembled OR can I just unbolt the caliper undo the ball joints and drop the outter knuckle as a whole. Since my truck is 2wd.

Sent from the command position of my dinosaur.

Lethalthreat7.3

Reaction score
It's been a while since I did a 2wd SD but you should be able to just disconnected the tie rod end, remove the brakes and caliper and you can rotate the spindle far enough to "release" the ball joints.
The rotor does add quite a bit of weight to the whole job not to mention the darn thing trying to rotate while you do it.
IMHO, I would remove the wheel brgs and repack them. The oem wheel brg grease is junk.
Do you happen to have any play/in and out movement on the wheel brgs? I would repackage and never worry about them.

Got Smoke?

Reaction score
It's been a while since I did a 2wd SD

IMHO, I would remove the wheel brgs and repack them. The oem wheel brg grease is junk.

OBS not SD...

I plan to replace the bearings and seals soon, but I underestimated $$ needed and I'm running short on cash this week. But my ball joints need to be done now.

Sent from the command position of my dinosaur.

Got Smoke?

Reaction score
It could be done, but I think its easier to just take it apart and not fight it.

The way its looking I might not be able to get to it until next weekend anyways so I might do it all at once.:cursing:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.