questions on swapping 6.0L motors

countryboyz04

Reaction score
im in need of some answers. the question i have can an 04 6.0L be swapped into an 06 6.0L and not have any issues. the 06 truck is in need of some work and i can get an 04 donor truck and didnt know if there would be any problems i might run into like things not working right cause of the year differences and anything to do with the computers

78f100

Reaction score
You should just need to swap oil rails, valve covers, and hpop. The 04 has the ipc sensor in the hpop cover, the 06 has it in the pass valve cover. I think that should be all but not sure.

weazel

Reaction score
If it's a late 04 it will be the same

Sent from in a ditch up side down and on fire with the wheels still spinning

PSM_Kid

Reaction score
Swap front covers. The gear boxes in the 05-07 trucks are bigger and that is why the lower radiator hose comes out at a different angle. The lower hose on a 05-07 truck comes out at a "3 o'clock" position where as the 04 comes out at a "4 o clock". With the 04 front cover in a 05-07 truck frame the lower radiator hose runs right into the 05-07 gearbox, rubs all over it and will have to be kinked upward to be routed around the fan shroud and down to the radiator.

PSM_Kid

Reaction score
You should just need to swap oil rails, valve covers, and hpop. The 04 has the ipc sensor in the hpop cover, the 06 has it in the pass valve cover. I think that should be all but not sure.

Not all 04's have the ICP sensor in the pump cover. If it does and you do decide to swap the pump, rails, and valve covers you need to swap the branch tubes regardless of icp sensor location. If you decide to swap all this and 04 motor is early production with log style oil rails, you must swap rocker boxes. At this point you might as well break the motor down and put fresh OEM headgaskets and studs. Use your engine harness if its in good/better shape and your intake manifold or just swap your 06 intake elbow on since it has no throttle plate.

If you don't decide to swap the pumps and the 04 motor isn't a early production with the ICP sensor on the pump I would still swap the engine harnesses and use the 06 intake elbow. The 06 harness won't have the connectors for the throttle plate.

Latest posts

Members online