Race truck or Pulling truck

brian89

Reaction score
If you could build any truck would you build a race or pulling truck and why? What motor and setup would you use?

Dustball8504

Reaction score
Pulling truck

I'd either do an OBS RCLB 7.3 or an 08-10 RCLB 6.4 for a puller.

For the 7.3 I'd go 400/400 injector with probably an s466 and for the 6.4 I'd go s466 with a set of 100% over nozzles. Both with built autos and full supporting mods for the fuel and air.

imelmo

Reaction score
If they had truck pulls near me I'm sure I'd do it. I did it once in Houston at the DHRA Nationals and it was a blast for sure.

Having said that, if I were to choose between one or the other it would hands down be drag racing. My biggest "peeve" about sled pulling is you only get to make one or two passes and your done. Drag racing I can make lots of passes. And I like the competition of having someone next to me (or behind me :D ) in the next lane to; feels a lot more directly competitive to me.

brian89

Reaction score
I would have a hard time choosing between 7.3 and 6.4 for a pulling truck, but for drag racing it would either be a 6.0 or 6.4, but first id have to decide if i want to pull or race

smoker00

Reaction score
I'm a 7.3 guy threw and threw.. but I would do a RCLB 6.4 with a single and a 4r behind it..
AS for the ? Asked I would build it for both bump stops and Wight for the sled. And drag radial tires for the track and probably some spray..

JD3020

Reaction score
Most likely it'd be a 4wd SCLB, possibly SCSB, built 7.3, PCS'd BTS 4r. But i would not build a truck to do just one thing, like sled pulling. If possible i'd have 4 link front and rear, good hitch set-up, removable weight bracket, and removable suspension stops. Have 2 sets of wheels for it, one would be DRW with some meaty tires, and another set would be something light with sticky rubber.

Then i can go out and rape on the track, rape on the strip, and kill some flat biller's dreams on the drive home.

Dustball8504

Reaction score
Most likely it'd be a 4wd SCLB, possibly SCSB, built 7.3, PCS'd BTS 4r. But i would not build a truck to do just one thing, like sled pulling. If possible i'd have 4 link front and rear, good hitch set-up, removable weight bracket, and removable suspension stops. Have 2 sets of wheels for it, one would be DRW with some meaty tires, and another set would be something light with sticky rubber.

Then i can go out and rape on the track, rape on the strip, and kill some flat biller's dreams on the drive home.

I like this idea also. That's why I'd lean towards just a 2.6 truck. With an s466 on either setup then I could swap it out for an s475 and hit the strip with it and run some crazy times.

BlueScab

Reaction score

Yes!:rockon:

tylerdillard

Reaction score
Although doing both would be fun to do its near impossible to have a truck to do both sports and be a top runner at each one. It pretty much has to be dedicated to serve one purpose if your goals are to be competitive

TXGLASSMAN

Reaction score
my goal is to have one that is capable of doing both and be streetable at the same time.

there are not alot of diesel functions around my area except forcertain times of the year, and only 2 or 3 sled pulls that i know of.

so im looking for a 6.4 CCSB 4x4. leveled with a nice set of wheels and tires and capable of 800 hp on fuel and way more on the go go juice. That way if i wanted to drive it to work i could, i can drive it to the local track on friday night and beat on it a little bit and then take it home, or tow it to a big function like TS or something along those lines and have a little fun with everyone else and if it breaks then its time to load it up and call good for the weekend.

as soon as the boat gets sold ill be truck shopping to get this project underway.

brian89

Reaction score
I would love to be competative in both pulling and racing, but i feel if you have a race truck that's streetable it won't be good for much pulling and possibly be broke most of the time, and a strictly race truck still wouldn't pull for much, but then a pulling truck would not run real well on the strip because of heavier parts, i have pulled and raced my truck maybe 5 times each and both were fun as chit, which makes building a truck a hard decision

JD3020

Reaction score
Although doing both would be fun to do its near impossible to have a truck to do both sports and be a top runner at each one. It pretty much has to be dedicated to serve one purpose if your goals are to be competitive

True. Although i think if you get everything perfect and dialed in as good as possible, you could build a competitive 2.6 truck that could still run good on the street and strip. You may not go out there and set any records or bring home many trophies, but just be competitive and have fun while your doing. Personally i'd much rather have a well-rounded truck that is good at everything, than a truck dedicated to just one thing. Unless of course i had the cash to afford multiple trucks, and the time to build and dial each truck in.

Or i could just drive a clean, stock OBS with a big retirement fund waiting on me. LOL

tylerdillard

Reaction score
True. Although i think if you get everything perfect and dialed in as good as possible, you could build a competitive 2.6 truck that could still run good on the street and strip. You may not go out there and set any records or bring home many trophies, but just be competitive and have fun while your doing. Personally i'd much rather have a well-rounded truck that is good at everything, than a truck dedicated to just one thing. Unless of course i had the cash to afford multiple trucks, and the time to build and dial each truck in.

Or i could just drive a clean, stock OBS with a big retirement fund waiting on me. LOL

Competitive 2.6 trucks that u can still drive on the street are a thing of the past.

Latest posts

Members online