Radically Redesigned Wicked Wheel® makes 43 PSI on my STOCK turbo!

Wildjon

Reaction score
PS...Diesel site is QUICK on responding. Placed my order around 5:30 and my phone was ringing by 5:45.

Power Hungry

Reaction score
Bill, maybe I'm blind or something, but by what I'm seeing, you posted a completely different wheel when the link to the ebay wheel was posted. I'm not trying to start anything and I'm not even the slightest bit interested in this wheel, I'm just wondering if that was a mistake? Or does Bob have two different wheels? If he doesn't have two different wheels, which wheel is in your truck? Here is what you posted as the WWG2 in the original post..

Am I missing something? LOL Like I said, I'm not trying to start anything or even interested in buying either one of these wheels, I'm just a little confused by the pictures that have been posted. Maybe the ebay seller changed the pics of his wheel or maybe you just got the pic mixed up with a 38R wheel when you compared the two. I don't know, just wondering.

No worries...

The picture I posted was in comparison to where the eBay ad indicated the wheel was for a 38R. I took the picture they posted and a picture of Bob's 38R wheel and placed them side by side. Since I had already posted the picture of the stock wheel, I didn't bother reposting it. Only going by the description in the eBay ad.

In any event, it's still not the same wheel. I don't want to get into any significant detail, but I can immediately see where the differences are and they definitely different. See attached image. I tried to scale them as closely as possible, despite the different angles.

Attachments

• eBay Wheel vs WWG2 (Stock).jpg
    eBay Wheel vs WWG2 (Stock).jpg
    922.3 KB · Views: 172
Last edited:
Reaction score
Cool. So, that's Bob's 38R wheel, not the one for the TP38 stock turbo. I didn't see 38R in the ebay description. Thought it said TP38, but who cares about the ebay wheel, I was just wondering what the other wheel was you posted and I confused myself a little. LOL Appreciate ya!

Last edited:

Southmike

Reaction score
Nice write up!

Serious question here, just intuitively with no evidence whatsoever to base anything on, it seems like the HP increase should have been much more than 20HP with a corresponding boost increase of 12 psi? From reading you previous threads on your test mule you were right at the 400HP mark with this truck. Using that number, you experienced a 5% increase in HP from a 28% increase in boost? Does that sound right?

Second question, I would like to see some results from real world applications such as is there any measurable boost increase while cruising empty, highway cruising while towing, and pulling loads up grades. Since my truck will never see a dyno I would be more interested in these results.

:toast:

just to point out that on a mostly stock truck going from an oem 38 to a 38r only gained 16hp....now what it will support with more mods is different.

Power Hungry

Reaction score
just to point out that on a mostly stock truck going from an oem 38 to a 38r only gained 16hp....now what it will support with more mods is different.

Precisely. It's not that there would be some tremendous gains from a direct bolt-in, but it provides potential for more aggressive mods down the road.

under pressure

Reaction score
I plan too in Jan.

Ported compressor
Gen II ww
Beans 1.0 housing

Since i already have the compressor housig in play, and the beans housing on the bench, figured ill just do this fornow and see what happends vs. my planned 38R.

bad12jr

Reaction score
I have a van charger with a ported housing and 1.15 exhaust. May need to give one a shot. Seems promising.

Sent from my x2 chillin in the middle of no where

under pressure

Reaction score
Well, many say its a waste, however its better than the stock housing, i did it when i was towing cross country, helped with egts and surge. The old ww has less air flow over the stock wheel, so the ported housing w/ stock wheel was just better overall for a budget tow set up.
Since i already have it, might as well see what it does.

dustinz85

Reaction score
I would think that a stock charger would live longer too with a 1.15 housing instead of the. 84 subbed on this can't wait for more info.. the 38r/ h2e may wait depending on the results :thumbup:

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

dustinz85

Reaction score
Well, many say its a waste, however its better than the stock housing, i did it when i was towing cross country, helped with egts and surge. The old ww has less air flow over the stock wheel, so the ported housing w/ stock wheel was just better overall for a budget tow set up.
Since i already have it, might as well see what it does.

Agreed the ported housing is def an upgrade.. I have the Gen 1 ww and its def only a band aid for the surge. problem pretty much like you said they just flow less air to eliminate the surge

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

firehunter

Reaction score
I would think that a stock charger would live longer too with a 1.15 housing instead of the. 84

This was my thinking too. I have run the .84, 1.0, and a van turbo (1.15) on my truck and decided to keep the 1.0 on there. With the 1.0 there is no hint of surge so my WW is sitting on the bench collecting dust after I went back to the stock wheel.

If this new wheel will pull more air at light to moderate loads I will be all over it. If it turns out to be a top-end dyno/pulling wheel, forget it.

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
So I'm assuming that there's no reason this wheel wont fit/work with a tp38 OBS turbo, right? I think with the 1.15 housing it will work great.

I'm 100% interested in purchasing one of these wheels if we can see more conclusive evidence posted.

Reaction score
So I'm assuming that there's no reason this wheel wont fit/work with a tp38 OBS turbo, right? I think with the 1.15 housing it will work great.

I'm 100% interested in purchasing one of these wheels if we can see more conclusive evidence posted.

If say it does the same in an obs, how much more do you want. The op stated the with the turbo wheel change only with no wastegate mods that is makes more boost with less drive pressure. I don't see how you could expect more than that from a $200 part. If I was running a stock turbo'd truck id be all over it. If they say the 38r makes even 5psi more or lowers bp any for $200 I will buy it. In the grand scheme of things there is a lot more expensive way to get more boost with lower bp, this to me seems to be a homerun if they truly do what is said.

Sent while hooked to something, somewhere, with my foot through the floor!

85_305

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
If say it does the same in an obs, how much more do you want. The op stated the with the turbo wheel change only with no wastegate mods that is makes more boost with less drive pressure. I don't see how you could expect more than that from a $200 part. If I was running a stock turbo'd truck id be all over it. If they say the 38r makes even 5psi more or lowers bp any for $200 I will buy it. In the grand scheme of things there is a lot more expensive way to get more boost with lower bp, this to me seems to be a homerun if they truly do what is said.

Sent while hooked to something, somewhere, with my foot through the floor!

thats a very good point you are making... I'd just like to see the results replicated again.

Latest posts

Members online