radio staying on for a few seconds after key off.

Pstroke96

Reaction score
ive had this head unit in my truck for about three years now its a pioneer DEH2100ib and a few days ago i noticed that after i shut the truck off the radio stays on for a second or so then turns off, the sub turns right off but the radio stays on an additional second. id rather not replace it if i dont have too but i dont like it doing that either, ideas?

thanks guys.

jdc753

Reaction score
That is kinda odd...

For the sub, I assume it is hooked to an amplifier, is the amplifier trigger wire hooked to the radio?

When the sub shuts down and the radio stays on, does the radio still play through the speakers or is it just the faceplate that stays lit up?

I would check the wiring harness at the radio and confirm that the switched 12v wire still has a good connection?

Per chance, does anything change with opening/closing the door?

If all the wiring checks out, and the radio isn't playing audio during that shut down time, then sadly I would think there is something wrong inside the unit itself. I am hoping it is something with the 12v switched power wire, although it is very odd the unit tells the amplifier to shut down, but then the unit doesn't shut down itself.

Denver

Reaction score
My 02 is doing this with a pioneer unit. I think it's a truck problem though because my radio doesn't turn off when starting the truck and my dome light takes a few seconds to turn on after I shut the truck off. I'm going to unplug the radio to see if that fixes anything.

Pstroke96

Reaction score
It does it with the door open or closed. The amp turn on is tapped I to the radio power fuse. It continues to. Play music after I turn te key off its not just the faceplate staying lit

jdc753

Reaction score
Ok good, sounds like the radio is fine then, and as long as the 12v switched wire at the back of the unit all checks out good, then I think it might be a problem on the truck side of things. I'm trying to think of other things in the truck that would stop working key off similar to the radio. Power windows maybe?

Sadly I don't really know much about the truck electronics but maybe then it could get asked in the OBS or general section as a truck side electrical problem and some of the guys might have some more experience on that side.

Pstroke96

Reaction score
i had a few minutes to pop the head unit out of the dash today, with the key off i checked and there is no power at the back of the radio. i pulled the battery cables off and let it sit for a little while and it seems to have straightened itself out. it shuts off immediately just like it should. i really dont like when things "fix themselves" but hopefully it was just a fluke thing

jdc753

Reaction score
Well glad to hear its fixed!! It does stink not knowing what fixed it or what was wrong in the first place, but hopefully it stays good for ya!

KYkickinit

Reaction score
Not trying to hijack a thread but for the past couple days my radio and/or heater have been randomly turning on while I'm away from the truck with the keys in my pocket. A few times when I've shut the truck off they have continued to run as well. I'm kinda stumped here.

Latest posts

Members online