Radio upgrade

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
I'm looking for a stock radio to out back in my truck. If I can swing it I want to put an 06 f250 radio in my 04 dash. Will it fit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMart

Reaction score
I've got a stock 6 disc from my 05. $50 and its yours. I don't know if it will fit.

jdc753

Reaction score
the 06 is a double din is yours ?

99-04 is not quite double din, it is just a touch smaller. The dash needs to be trimmed for a double din unit to fit.

The 05+ factory cd player unit has a slight curve to the face to match the factory dash, might look a little out of place on a 99-04 dash. Then the wiring will be a bit difficult, easiest if you have the radio as well as the factory harness off the back with say 4" or so of wire that can be spliced into an aftermarket adapter harness and then plugged into the factory 04 radio harness (same steps as installing an aftermarket unit.

Zmann

Reaction score
The 05+ factory cd player unit has a slight curve to the face to match the factory dash

i don't recall the 05+ deck having any curve ? I can check the one in my shed
I know the Pioneer i put in it's place fit fine without any curvature

radio.jpg

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
Guess I could always change the dash out. That should be simple

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
Lol. Oh well. I guess I'll stay with the older style

Zmann

Reaction score
LOL

they sell nice single dins and a coin tray adapter to make up the rest of the room

there is a write up on doing ta stereo swap in an o4 just be aware some of his statements are wrong like calling the 04 a double din and the 06 " taller" the 06 is an actual 2xdin the o4 is a little smaller like a 1 3/4 Din =-

http://www.frontiernet.net/~jmray/F250Stereo.htm

Last edited:

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
Looks like he was able to do a straight swap from an 06 expedition to his superduty. Don't get the aux issue he was having tho.

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
yqapy4ed.jpg

Is this a stock connecter from an 05+ truck? I could just use this and connect an 06 radio up

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
I beileve I still have the plug that goes to the radio out in my garage along with whats left of the dash harness. If you end up wanting jmarts radio ill try to meet up with him and drop off the connector so it would be more or less a complete headache for you to install. If it were me though id go aftermarket since I doubt there will be a kit or a simple way to mount the radio.

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
Ya. Seems like I'll have to do too much customizing just to get a stock radio to fit right. May just go with the original radio that came with it. Sucks cause when I bought the truck it had aftermarket radio but it was crappy

Lubbockguy1979

Reaction score
You can get a decent bluetooth dvd player with a detachable face for less than 3 bills. Then be able to watch movies stream music from your phone and all. Even single din just bluetooth decks can be had for right around a bill.

Pwrcummins

Reaction score
Sweet. Prolly do that. The touch screen I have now has Bluetooth and i love it. Less cords running around inside the truck

TheSmokinStroke2002

Reaction score
I had 2 different double din dvd players in my old superduty. All you have to do is buy the install kit and trim the lip off the inside of the radio opening on the dash. It doesn't fit perfect but it will get you by and looks 10x better. I had a kenwood and a pioneer double din and both fit without any major modifications. I also had to trim a little bit off of the bottom of the opening but nothing significant by any means.

co04cobra

Reaction score
Im going to sub in for ideas here.

I have installed 3-4 05 up radios when doing 6.0 to 7.3 swaps. I had the pigtail from the 05 up trucks and used an aftermarket harness to splice it together and plug into factory 99-04 harness.

Almost all the wires were the same color. Main change was another switched 12+ and an extra ground. I hooked them to together on the aftermarket harness, and "boom" plugs in and works fine on the first 3 or 4 trucks.

Only 2 extra wires on the 05 to do with the speed vol control. We have done 2 of these this year, and I can not for the life of me get the 05 radios to have sound!!???

Raido powers on, all controls seem to work fine, but nada for sound. I even have voltage coming out of the radio and at the speakers, but ZELCH for sound? So for the last few weeks all I have been asking myself is WTF am I missing here?

TheSmokinStroke2002

Reaction score
Im going to sub in for ideas here.

I have installed 3-4 05 up radios when doing 6.0 to 7.3 swaps. I had the pigtail from the 05 up trucks and used an aftermarket harness to splice it together and plug into factory 99-04 harness.

Almost all the wires were the same color. Main change was another switched 12+ and an extra ground. I hooked them to together on the aftermarket harness, and "boom" plugs in and works fine on the first 3 or 4 trucks.

Only 2 extra wires on the 05 to do with the speed vol control. We have done 2 of these this year, and I can not for the life of me get the 05 radios to have sound!!???

Raido powers on, all controls seem to work fine, but nada for sound. I even have voltage coming out of the radio and at the speakers, but ZELCH for sound? So for the last few weeks all I have been asking myself is WTF am I missing here?

That makes no sense at all..... Hmm.

Dave

Reaction score
There isnt an extra 12v positive or ground with the 05 up. Also theres no curve in the radio. And the colors are different

Sent from my SCH-I925 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online