Ran Fine, Shut off, No Start

jschildm

Reaction score
My friend bought a 03 6.0 today. Said engine bay was super clean, no signs of leaks or other issues. Bought it, drove it home, shut it off. His dad came out for dinner shortly there after. He tried to start it and it just turns over. Cranks plenty fast, but no start. I have 7.3, but dont know quite as much about hte 6.0s. I dont have AE or a scan tool to check for ICP and such. Would unplugging the ICP be an idea to help limit that from the equation. I know to say too much we really need a scan tool, but i am just trying to think of the simple stuff to try in the mean time. Thanks fellas.

windrunner408

Reaction score
Unplugging the ICP sensor wont do you any good. The FICM needs to see 500+psi of ICP to fire the injectors. Unfortunately you need to hook it up to a scan tool to properly diagnose otherwise it is just a guessing game. If the FICM is fine and you hear the fuel pump run when the key is on, then you probably have a high pressure oil problem. Could be the High Pressure Oil Pump (diesel injection pump), bad IPR valve, blown HPO rail seal. My thoughts are if the FICM is good, if the fuel pump runs with the key on and engine off, and the truck/oil was "cold" i.e. close to ambient temp, then you have either a bad IPR valve and/or HPOP. Still recommend a scanner to diagnose. Oh yea you could have a bad cam position sensor and/or crank shaft position sensor. Best of luck to you.

jschildm

Reaction score
This is what he sent me this morning when I got to work ....

so here's the deal....
after the girls went to bed, jacque took the truck to drakesville and back. i went out about 15 minutes after she got home and it wouldn't start again. so, i just went back inside. this morning, i hit the key and it fired right up. so it seems as if it doesn't want to start while warm

Unfortunately I am going to be heading back to Indiana for a week and a half, and won't really be around to help with this. Again, I know I need a scanner. I plan on getting AE very soon, I am just trying to help the guy out with some simple checks.

jschildm

Reaction score
Well, the guy he bought the truck from said he still had his check and would tear it up if he wanted out of the deal with the truck doing this, and since it was sort of on whim anyways, i think he is going to just give it back and not deal with it. Now I just need to talk him into a nice and slow 7.3.

Latest posts

Members online