Random sputter/stall

b00stleak

Reaction score
Alright guys I have been reading and trying to figure out a very random sputter/stall. I will be driving and it started as a hiccup but its getting worse. It now dies on the highway for a couple seconds. If I put down on the throttle it will sputter for a second and then fire and will drive fine after. It throws a code but clears after I turn it off. It always starts fine. Well, just a little cold hard start but I think that is just glow plugs. I am unsure where to go from here. Fuel pump? ICP? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Matt

b00stleak

Reaction score
Classic symptoms of a dying CPS.

That was also a thought of mine. I know I should keep one with me but never have got one. Any recommendations on which I should go with? I thought I had always read that the CPS just goes out and the truck won't start one day. I figured it had something to do with fuel because it would come back on after I applied throttle? Thanks

mandkole

Reaction score
Agree that CPS is very possible. They are cheap enough to try (and having a spare would be good if that's not it), but I'd get the code read also. A good gift to yourself would be a scangauge..

pullandpray

Reaction score
Agree that CPS is very possible. They are cheap enough to try (and having a spare would be good if that's not it), but I'd get the code read also. A good gift to yourself would be a scangauge..

or a obd2 bluetooth adapter and the torque app. i love mine cant beat it for 20 bucks

pullandpray

Reaction score
Last I looked no torque won't but they were working on it and I haven't really checked into it since November, I know the car gauge pro app does buzz and CCT

b00stleak

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. Gonna look into those apps you guys mentioned. I hate how random this occurs. I can drive hundreds of miles and it won't do it. Then it will do it twice in twenty miles.

b00stleak

Reaction score
Just an update to an old thread for anyone that has this happen in the future. I changed out the CPS with a black one from Ford. Has not happened since. I keep the old one in the glovebox just in case I ever need it in a pinch.

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
Just an update to an old thread for anyone that has this happen in the future. I changed out the CPS with a black one from Ford. Has not happened since. I keep the old one in the glovebox just in case I ever need it in a pinch.
black? you sure it wasnt a purple color?

live life full throttle

Latest posts

Members online