Re-gearing a D-60

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
looking at a parts truck tomorrow for the d-60. i need 3.55s and it has 4.10s. my question to all is has anyone done this, how expensive it it to get done or can it be done myself. i don not have micrometers to set them up like i think is involved.

just looking for others experiences! so i know if i should move on or snatch it up!

jwlandry

Reaction score
I had my gears swapped in my dually to 3.55s. I do a lot of my own stuff but since I never had done this before I didn't trust doing them and I sent it to someone. He only charged me $250 and I haven't had a problem.

With something that important if your hesitant on doing it i dont think i would be experimenting. That's just my opinion.

NRHX2009

Reaction score
Gears arent hard to do if you have the patience and tools. You will need a dial indicator, magnetic swivel base, and basic tools. There are a lot of good write up on how to do them correctly. My first time doing a ring and pinion change took me 6 hours. I believe you need .008" backlash and Pinion preload around 10-15in. lbs.

FrankTheTank

Reaction score
I found a good write up on pirate 4x4. Im confident i can do it, just dont really wana buy tools to do it when its going in my uncles truck and me paying for all the tools. If they only charge 250 id just go that route. I made a call today to a shop. Hes checking avaibality on gears and will call me back.

Thanks for the input.

1ofakind79

Reaction score
The gears are cheap (around 175) from Summit Racing. To go from 4.10 to 3.55 you don't have to change the carrier either so it shouldn't be as bad as if you started with a bare carrier and new gear set.

Latest posts

Members online