re-gearing for 37's

Dieselfarmer

Reaction score
I Know with my old 6.4 and 3.73's it towed decent with 35's but anything bigger i was going to think about re-gearing.

With the 6.7 I have the 3:31 rear end, plan on going with 37's and still towing a gooseneck (10-12,000 pounds loaded). In order to save my transmission what would be a good gear ratio to upgrade to? I was thinking a 3.73 rear end would work pretty well with the new truck and new setup.

Opinions?

weazel

Reaction score
3:73 would be good, but I am a huge fan of 4:11, plenty of power to wrestle big tires

Chris

Reaction score
i had 3.31s and 37s for a few weeks. the truck had the power to pull like that, but the rpms were so low pulling up certain hills it would make the transmission shudder. now this is w/ h&s motor and trans tuning. their transmission tuning lowers the shift points and tc lockup considerably over stock. If they would release maybe a different software w/ some higher shifts for trucks such as these there might not be a necessity for a gear swap. Unfortuneately there are no 4.10 gears for the 11+ trucks. The rear end is different than the 99-10 trucks. i went w/ 4.30s and love the power. the only downfall is the mileage on the highway sucks. at 70mph i cruise at about 2000rpms. ill get about 14.5-15mpg hand calculated in town, but cruising 75-80 on the highway itll do right at 13. with the 4.30s and the really low 1st gear the 6r140 has, itll climp up a big incline by just letting your foot off the brake.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.