Ready to order Stage 1 MTW turbo, what should I do at the same time?

TexasA&M

Reaction score
Howdy everyone -

I'm on the verge of ordering a Stage 1 turbo from MTW, and am wondering what y'all think I should do at the same time. I have a 2006 F250 that is stock mechanically (no studs, stock exhaust, etc), running tunes from gearhead. I do no plan on changing injectors or anything of that nature, but will be studding the truck if/when the time comes.

What small/simple things should I do at the same time as turbo replacement? The only things I can really think of is new CAC boots, and possibly change to a metal driver's side CAC tube (mine is plastic from the factory). I don't know if either of these is really necessary though, or will make any difference whatsoever, which is why I am asking here.

I'm also thinking of doing exhaust at the same time since I'll have the downpipe already disconnected from the turbo. I've heard that getting it lined back up can be a PITA, so I figure better to do it once instead of doing it again down the road.

What do y'all think?

Last edited:

faster6.0

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
Egr delete while the turbo is off, manifold doesn't have to come off either.

CCRICE

Reaction score
Exhaust isn't bad to do provided you have two people to do it. The biggest pita for me was getting the stock out since it was rusted into the rubber grommets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mdub707

Reaction score
Exhaust isn't bad to do, but why not do it when you're doing the turbo swap anyways, if you have the coin? I'd also do an EGR delete myself. Metal tube is more of an "when" instead of an "if" it goes bad. It's $105 through Tousley. Maybe Sunrise can hook you up too. The plastic one on my 06 gave out earlier this year. Have you done the updated turbo feed or drain? Makes sense to do those now too. At least the drain...

TexasA&M

Reaction score
Updated drain was done a couple of years ago when I had the bedplate leak fixed (under warranty, thankfully). Good to know on the metal tube. I'm thinking of doing a CCV re-route too so that my new boots don't get all oily.

Do you have a part number I can look for the metal tube at Tousley? I can't find it in their catalogue. RiffRaff has it for $126 (without boots), which isn't bad, but I'm all for saving some money!

Last edited:

Mikeh1725

Reaction score
If your on stock exhaust, I would pull the cat off and hollow it out if your not wanting to spend money on an exhaust. Hollow the cat the reinstall it on the truck. This is why:
Before
a693488f-7418-24df.jpg

After
a693488f-742b-aba2.jpg

Mdub707

Reaction score
Updated drain was done a couple of years ago when I had the bedplate leak fixed (under warranty, thankfully). Good to know on the metal tube. I'm thinking of doing a CCV re-route too so that my new boots don't get all oily.

Do you have a part number I can look for the metal tube at Tousley? I can't find it in their catalogue. RiffRaff has it for $126 (without boots), which isn't bad, but I'm all for saving some money!

6C3Z-6C640-AA

It comes with both new boots and all 4 clamps to do the job too, $105 last I checked.

TexasA&M

Reaction score
UPDATE: Order placed!

Well, I couldn't contain myself... I just placed me order for a Stage 1 turbo and new CAC boots. Now I just gotta find someone in Ft. Worth to help me install this sucker!

Keanoknick

Reaction score
If you're looking for a shop here in Ft Worth for the install, check out Mad Matt's Diesel, if you would prefer to do it yourself, there are several of us here in Fort Worth and even more throughout the Metroplex that I'm sure would be willing to help

Kbryant777

Reaction score
Turbo installation isn't bad at all. I just swapped my stocker out for a 68pmax. It was my first time changing a turbo and I would say it wasn't bad at all. I did it in my driveway standing on a 5gal bucket. Start to finish you could do it in 3hrs your first time.

TexasA&M

Reaction score
Not located in College Station (graduated in 2003). Standpipes and dummy plugs were replaced a few years back, so I should be good to go there. Just waiting on all of the parts to show up and and then find a good weekend to start turning a wrench!

TexasA&M

Reaction score
Well, after 5 weeks of waiting, my turbo is finally supposed to be here tomorrow. All along, I wanted to get it before a road trip that I had planned for this coming weekend, so it's technically working out, but it's dang sure cutting it close. Now I need to figure out how to go about doing the install with only a day or two left. Hopefully FedEx comes while someone is at the house (signature required), otherwise I'll lose more time.

*Rant below*

This may very well be one of the best turbos out there for our trucks, and is probably worth the wait, but I have been a bit disappointed in the level of communication coming from MTW about the delays. I knew that there was a core shortage, but I heard 'next week for sure,' three weeks in a row. Not once was I contacted with an update without me having to ask for one, and then I got radio silence for two weeks. Finally got an update last Friday that it was done and was told it would ship Friday. Then got a call that it would ship Sunday. Didn't hear back and called for an update, finally got tracking Monday evening showing that the turbo shipped Monday. They did upgrade the shipping for me to get it here by Wednesday, which is a nice touch, but that still only leaves me with a very small window for install.

I'm ok with delays... I'm not ok with being strung along while I have $1,200 missing from my bank account for a product that was supposed to be delivered weeks ago.

*Rant over*

I'll post up some reviews once I get this sucker installed. If I'm able to do it before Friday morning, I'll be putting 500mi on it this weekend, which should allow plenty of time for the VGT to re-learn and then for me to notice some performance gains.

madpowerstroke

Reaction score
Sorry for the wait, I was over my head with orders and the cores are still killing me. Shipping for cores didn't make it, some got rejected due to oil dripping from box, and had to wait again. But, still no excuse, on the delay, that's the reason I stopped taking orders to get caught up and to get the cores in. I want to provide great customer service, so I want to get caught up and then build turbos so that they are on ready to go. I'm trying to have at least 4 stage 1 and 4 hybrids ready, than maybe 2 stage 2. I saw that there was going to be delays and it would get wrost if I didn't put a stop and regather. I have built over 70 turbos that are out there, and anytime one of the stages does something that is really good, I get pounded with more orders. Not compaining about getting so much work, but it gets me behind really quick. I don't have anyone helping with the turbo build so it's still a one man band. I still have a full time job that I'm holding on to, so it does get rough. Again sorry for the delay and hope to have the delay issue resovled soon.

e.nickkk

Reaction score
Adrian I have another core I can send you when I get mine back if this helps

Latest posts

Members online