Real Tuning

superpsd

Reaction score
Almost sounds like a stand alone setup would be easier or 2011-2016 wiring swap. Either way a headache. At this rate when the 2020 trucks come out it will be 2022 or later until you can tune them.

Mts678

Reaction score
Mine did that when i had throttle valve unplugged
I pull 27-28 now

I'll have to revisit that and check. I've got the egt unplugged (the one that gets relocated) and I unplugged 2 plugs on the egr assembly/ maybe that's one of them?

ckrueg

Reaction score
I believe HP tuners supports tcm tuning now. Not sure about ECM though.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Mts678

Reaction score
Y'all need to recruit the iPhone jail breaker hackers to crack the code. Them dudes can crack apples software, they can crack fords software

Vq2fast4u

Reaction score
This happens with every new truck. You just have to give the coders time to build a graphical interface so we, or a tuner can manipulate the tune. Like the difference between running dos and windows. I would guess... Vehicle software protocols are standardized with SAE.

Reaction score
no way. kory is a tuner, not a hacker. he's already told me , no way he'll be able to touch it. it's algorithm based. pure insanity.

Making changes to the tune isn't the problem. The issue with both the '17 Fords and the L5P is the digital signature the ECM expects to receive after a flash to say that it is a OEM approved calibration. If you've ever jailbroken an iPhone it's a similar concept. Software code is loaded through a "backdoor" to switch off that security check. That's what has been going on with the 4th gen Cummins for years via the 3 pin data link under the hood. New dodge gas stuff has to have the ECM unlocked by opening the case and flashing, and then it's open season. Unfortunately, on the new Ford and GM, this option is gone, or no one has figured out how to do it yet.

The guys at EFILive wrote up an article on the L5P basically saying they need the key from GM to flash. However, even if someone gave them that key they wouldn't touch it with a 100 ft pole because GM would sue them for all sorts of things.

superpsd

Reaction score
That and auto manufacturers don't want to pay for drive train damage caused by someone tuning thier trucks and then swiping clean any trace.

Inline6359

Reaction score
if epa wasn't around ill bet they would be as simple as the dinosaur engines... just everything else refined(interior, hard parts, etc)

I doubt it, believe it or not the EPA requirements help drive these engines to where they are at.

Last edited:

JRLott

Reaction score
I feel you have confused EPA regulations with market demand and competition. The explosive demand for diesel pick ups after Dodge offered the Cummins resulted in the EPA stepping in with emission regulations many years later. It took a much shorter time for Ford to throw a turbo on the 7.3 and Chevrolet to offer the Banks package. Demand and competition drive innovation, not regulations.

sootie

Reaction score
I feel you have confused EPA regulations with market demand and competition. The explosive demand for diesel pick ups after Dodge offered the Cummins resulted in the EPA stepping in with emission regulations many years later. It took a much shorter time for Ford to throw a turbo on the 7.3 and Chevrolet to offer the Banks package. Demand and competition drive innovation, not regulations.

To a point, yes- but not entirely. We wouldn't have common rail injection etc if it wasn't for emission regulations. Face it, most changes we have seen on diesels from 03 on have been emission related. Trying to get a more efficient burn while fighting the HP battle. If competition solely drives changes, why is Cummins still the lowest power truck?

JRLott

Reaction score
To a point, yes- but not entirely. We wouldn't have common rail injection etc if it wasn't for emission regulations. Face it, most changes we have seen on diesels from 03 on have been emission related. Trying to get a more efficient burn while fighting the HP battle. If competition solely drives changes, why is Cummins still the lowest power truck?

Perhaps those changes arrived a bit sooner with regs, but do you not think they would have come anyway? More efficient burn = increased power and efficiency. Few of us like blowing crap loads of friggin smoke, and smoke is essentially unburned fuel, correct? Didn't the Duramax arrive as a fairly quiet engine before 2003? I walked past one and didn't realize it was a diesel until I smelled the exhaust at a time when you could hear a Cummins a half mile away and it'd rattle the fillings out of your teeth shutting down. The Cummins may still have the low st power ratings, but it doesn't seem to be hurting their sales around here much...it's also still in the ball park. Not like they're trying to compete with GM and Ford with the old 215 hp 12 valve engine.

Latest posts

Members online