Rear Diff cover

KingRanch6.0L

Reaction score
So when i was changing my shackles i noticed that my rear diff cover is totally surface rust.
Anyone know how big of a deal it is? How long the stocks usually last?

Any good experiences with the aftermarket ones?

Thanks everyone.

bboteler

Reaction score
08+ models are supposed to lower diff temps slightly. I'm sure someone here has #'s before and after. A few guys are running gauges on their rear diffs.

Mdub707

Reaction score
I got mine from DFuser, came with hardware and everything, was like $80 for the whole setup. Maybe another site sponsor can help you out?

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
sunrise has 25% off for members may wanna try them too.

Yep... I got mine from Sunrise. It was like $45 shipped to my door(no joke). HERE is a link directly to the part.

Use promotional code "diesel" and it will take $10 off of your order bringing the total down to about $45.

I have been nothing but happy with Sunrise Ford.

KingRanch6.0L

Reaction score
ordered thanks guys

is this a job i can do in my drive way?

Or would it be worth paying a shop to do it?
How long do you think it would take?

windrunner408

Reaction score
You can easily do it in your drive way. Just pop the cover, drain the fluid, swap the covers, and refill. Should only take about 30 mins.

KingRanch6.0L

Reaction score
cool deal saw that some guy was spraying brake cleaner in his and all kinds of stuff so just wanted to make sure.

Do i need new bolts? or gasket? dont know if thats coming with my parts

JMart

Reaction score
ordered thanks guys

Did you get bolts? Your current bolts won't fit they are to short. I used to know the size but I forgot it now. I think you can pick up stainless ones at the hardware store that will fit.

KingRanch6.0L

Reaction score
ya i need to figure out the size bolts i need and number of them. just have to count those haha.

Any one recommend a good rear diff oil?

2wd-fire

Reaction score
ya i need to figure out the size bolts i need and number of them. just have to count those haha.

Any one recommend a good rear diff oil?

i went an bought my oil from the dealer. and remeber your truck king ranch so its got lsd. you have to put the lsd additive in. i only put half of what ford recommends. there amount is higher so then dont get people coming in saying there rear end clicks when they make u turns. but this also makes your lsd work like ****

Mdub707

Reaction score
I'm putting Amsoil back in mine too when I finally get around to doing it. From the factory they don't have a gasket there, Ford uses silicone basically. You can get a gasket however, I ordered one from Napa for mine. Some use just the gasket, some use just the silicone and some use a combo of both... take your pick.

I can measure the bolts for you probably this weekend if I get over to my truck, my pan is sitting in the back seat with the hardware. Or maybe someone else knows.

bad12jr

Reaction score
Get the gasket. So much cleaner and finished look. Did I mention cleaner? Its alot cleaner.

Sent from my x2 chillin in the middle of no where

jkidd_39

Reaction score
ordered thanks guys

Took me about 45 minutes in my drive way. I'd recommend taking they truck to a car wash and cleaning the heck out of the rear axle. Always nice to have a clean working area.
It's easy. Get some silicone from ford and some new rear diff fluid and some friction modifier.

Pull your cover, drain everything out. Put a bead of silicone on. Let it get set a little then install it. Then fill the diff back up.

Make sure you got longer hardware from whoever you buy from.

The 08 cover looks really nice. I had mine powdercoated black. Looks much better.

Ohh and maybe someone can chime in some silicone that is the same quality as FoMoCo stuff.. i think a tube was like $18 wholesale from ford. Pricey but i'd rather have it seal well than replace my R&P

Latest posts

Members online