Rear Driveshaft slip joint lubrication.

Tom S

Reaction score
While working on shimming the driveshaft on my F250 I noticed the slip joint felt a little sticky. I decided to get the parts to take the joint apart and relube it. I ordered a boot kit and a tube of the Ford Teflon Slip Joint grease from Sunrise Ford.

Drive shaft boot kit F81Z-4421-CA

Slip Joint Lube Ford/Motorcraft XG-8

Tom S

Reaction score
The kit comes with a boot and two Oetiker clamps.

Last edited:

Tom S

Reaction score

The shaft has some kind of blue teflon? coating on it from the factory. The teflon grease is a light blue color as well.

The shaft has blind splines so you cannot mess up on reassembly but marking the shaft for orinentation is of course suggested.

The larger 54.5 Oetiker clamps are available from McMaster Carr and I would be interested in going in with a couple of guys on splitting a minimum order just to have some on hand. One could do the job just replacing that one clamp without the much a problem.

Old OutLaw

Reaction score
Tom, we had those teflon-coated slips in big rigs years ago, and used regular, (high quality), chassis grease on them, they would normally run about a million miles without trouble, in a Log Truck....
I personally used, (and still do), Power Punch grease....it was the only grease we could find that would stay inna cup-n-saucer all week in the winter. it's a bit hard to find, but good stuff....

JD3020

Reaction score
I did the "poor-mans" version last week. Pulled the shaft off, cleaned everything up, gave it a nice coating of regular grease, and then zip-tied the boot back on. Mine was a little stiff with the old grease but surprisingly wasn't that bad.

Zmann

Reaction score
for the job I think a zip tie in this location is fine I also have lay flat stainless steel zip ties i bought at Home Depot
I us on my shock boots
477247189_279.jpg

Last edited:

Peroni

Reaction score
Tom I did this earlier in the year while replacing the center bearing. I bought a bag of each size clamp from McMaster. I can go rummage around and pull out a few spares if you can use them, got more than I will ever use.

My joint just had dried up grease in it. I replaced it with some of Schaeffers full synthetic #2 grease and all has been good.

Tom S

Reaction score
I will take you up on that offer. I will shoot you a PM.

I was also thinking about trying some of those stainless zip ties. How do you like them?

Last edited:

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
Newb question here but I need to know. My slip joint seems to have a little slop in it. I want to pull it apart and check it. Once you take the clamps off the boot, with the driveshaft removed obviously, it will just come apart right?

And Tom if you wouldnt mind, PM me the price for that new boot and clamp kit and the Ford Grease that you payed. If my driveshaft isnt junk ill do this.

Tom S

Reaction score
It does come right apart. The price I paid is in the Sunrise site sponsor thread. I think 27 plus 7 with free shipping.

Latest posts

Members online