Rear oil leak

farmboy23

Reaction score
Iv got a really bad leak coming from my bell housing on my 00' 7.3, and can tell where its coming from, I replaced the rear main and that wasn't it. Anyone have any ideas?

neverkickn

Reaction score
Sounds like a hpo leak or turbo pedistal leak. Have you looked in the valley? It is oil and not tranny fluid right?

farmboy23

Reaction score
oil valley is not dry but my buddy spilled a bunch of oil filling it up after we changed the rear main. and its not tranny fluid.

neverkickn

Reaction score
Wash it down really good with degreaser and a garden hose then fire it up and watch. If it is leaking bad you should be able to pinpoint the leak without much looking. If you do this and fail to see anything anywhere in the valley yet you still have oil coming down the bell housing then check the hpo rail endplugs on the firewall side.

farmboy23

Reaction score
I changed the rear main first because thats what i thought it was, but thanks to you guys it helps to know what else it could be

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
7.3's very rarely have a rear main seal leak. It is almost always from somewhere in the valley. Most commonly the turbo pedestal o-rings or somewhere in the HPO system. It is on the bell housing because it drains through the weep hole on the rear passenger side of the engine.

neverkickn

Reaction score
Did you just put the moter in the truck? If I where you I would tripple check and make sure that it is actually leaking from there before you pull it. Oil leaks on these can be tricky. When I switched to synthetic I had a little oil running out around my icp sensor that ran along the groove between the head and the block, down the back of the head and down the driver side of the block by the oil cooler.

Just saying don't go yanking the motor out till you are absolutely sure.

Latest posts

Members online