Rear Road Armor Bumper Help

Austen

Reaction score
I have a couple of questions that maybe some of you could clarify regarding rear road armor bumpers. Before you mention calling Road Armor, I already did but they were not able to answer them.

1. I noticed that RA has three different part numbers listed for different years of the SD. From what I've researched, all rear bumper styles will interchange. For example, I could install a 2014 rear bumper on my 1999.

I would like to install this RA bumper listed here however, it states that it is only for the 2011 - 2014 model years: http://www.roadarmor.com/products/Bumpers/2011-2014/Ford/Superduty/part-number-61800B

RA has a different part number and different style bumper for the 1999 - 2004 style here: http://www.roadarmor.com/products/Bumpers/1999-2004/Ford/Superduty/part-number-61000B

My question is, the 2011 - 2014 style should in fact fit my 1999, correct?

2. If you look in the photos, there is a single hole on the right side of where the license plate or winch would mount. No, not referring to the license plate light. Anybody know what this would be for?

Austen

Reaction score
Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it.

Just so that we're clear, here is the hole that I'm referring to:

RoadArmorBumper1_zps266d8874.jpg

I have also seen in other photos of this bumper what appears to be 12v outlet (I think). Check the photo below for an example of what I'm talking about.

RoadArmorBumper2_zpsbf32091d.jpg

Regarding the hole, it's not really a big deal, I just wondered what its intention is for. The description in the ads don't reference it and I have not seen a hole in this particular location in any of the other aftermarket bumpers either aside from the back up sensor holes but this bumper does not come with those pre-drilled. Not too mention, the 1999 - 2004 style bumper does not have this hole either. I was told by the Road Armor rep that this hole is for the license plate light but I tried to explain that I don't think that is what it's actually for, but...

Below is a photo of the 1999 - 2004 style bumper.

RoadArmorBumper3_zps9e9f1fa7.jpg

As you can see the bumper is a little different style than the 2011 - 2014. I like the additional protection of the '11 -'14 versus this one.

Again, from what I've researched, all of the rear OEM bumpers of the Super Duty are completely interchangeable through the years. Most aftermarket bumper manufactures I've seen use the same part #'s through the years too. I just want to confirm the 2011 - 2014 style will bolt up to my truck.

I will probably purchase it any way from an outside vendor as I can't imagine that if it didn't for some odd reason that it wouldn't take much modification to make it work, but just wanted a little more information on it.

Thanks guys.

dsberman94

Reaction score
That is weird. I just went out and looked at my 02 and the spare tire thing is not on that side. I noticed it wasn't on the 99-04 bumper before. That is really weird. I don't see a reason why you would want or need a 12v outlet in your rear bumper.

The newer style road armor looks like it comes up closer to match up with the body lines a little better. I also like the newer better.

Austen

Reaction score
That is weird. I just went out and looked at my 02 and the spare tire thing is not on that side. I noticed it wasn't on the 99-04 bumper before. That is really weird. I don't see a reason why you would want or need a 12v outlet in your rear bumper.

The newer style road armor looks like it comes up closer to match up with the body lines a little better. I also like the newer better.

Agreed completely.

I suppose the 12v could be used for plugging in a small compressor.

08Monster

Reaction score
Nice! I chose to do the road rhinos. Pretty much a weld it yourself clone of the road armors.

Austen

Reaction score
Very sharp!! Pretty cool that you put it together yourself.

I like that light bar!

Latest posts

Members online