Rear traction bar install question.

strokefreak

Reaction score
Going to be installing the traction bars this weekend i hope. But i have a couple questions as i have never installed these before. Keep in mind im in an rv park 8 hours from home, with basic tools you have in your truck.
1. How do i determime the best length to set the heim joint at? I assume the forward frame brackets must be on the flattest,straightest frame area i can get them.
2. The rear axle bracket is the type that the u bolts go through and it sits underneath the axle. Do i leave the trucks weight on the ground to change this out one side at a time?
Any advice is appreciated as ive never done this i stall before.

strokefreak

Reaction score
These i have are fully adjustable, i just want to make sure that i have an idea to start with. Hate going in blind.

Layson

Reaction score
No instructions? There are not too many places on the frame that work well. Trying to match it with the driveline isn't worth doing. Your just going to have to put them up there and find out where they will fit.

Lets see some picks? Which ones are they?

strokefreak

Reaction score
These are the Flight Fab, adjustable end links. Didnt get instructions, may have fallen out since delivery people did a number on the packaging. Half of one bar outside of package.
5ezu8a2e.jpg

ruvytuqy.jpg

strokefreak

Reaction score
They adjust out a fairly long way. Im thinking the same thing, bolt up rear and then see where they land. Adjust to the point they land flat and even. Sound right?

Layson

Reaction score
Yep, how are they adjustable? Doe one bar slide into the other?

Make sure you get those joints orientated so you can grease them.

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
Bolt the rear brackets up and put the end with the bushing in the rear. Throw a bolt through but don't tighten. Then you can see where your frame brackets will go. Also, it's not a bad idea to pull the adjustable links all the way out and put some never seize on the threads that are in the bar. It will make your life easier if you ever tear them apart.

strokefreak

Reaction score
Never thought about anti sieze, thanks for the info sir! Thats what i kinda figured i needed to do, just wasnt positive. Thanks!

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
Never thought about anti sieze, thanks for the info sir! Thats what i kinda figured i needed to do, just wasnt positive. Thanks!

When I originally put my bars on I didn't anti seize the threads. When I took them off this spring to get powdercoated and went to spin the end links out it was IMPOSSIBLE. New ones got a nice coat of anti seize.

getstroked27

Reaction score
joshypoo hit the nail on the head. fought mine for two hours when i pulled them apart for new powdercoating. and yeah. miles has the lengths down to a science. once bolted loosely to the axle, the frame brackets will line up perfect. just be sure to play aggresive music while drilling through the frame. its motivation.

Layson

Reaction score
Are the threads all bunged up inside the bar?

Sounds like you guys don't even need to run jam nuts....LOL

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
Are the threads all bunged up inside the bar?

Sounds like you guys don't even need to run jam nuts....LOL

Nah the threads are nice. Mine went on in coated for like a year and a half and two PA winters... LOL. That'll do it to just about anything

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.