Rebuilding for 250's

Powersmokin32

Reaction score
Ok guys I'm about to bite the bullet and start ordering parts for my build. I already got an idea on parts, but just wondering what some of yall are running to hold up to 600hp?

PowerstrokeJunkie

Reaction score
CarlosMencia_dee_dee_dee_2.jpg

LOL LOL LOL

TARM

Reaction score
Putting the words "reliably" and "600 HP" together in the 7.3 world IMHO always will equal a fully built engine. Now one that will likely hold if you are not beating on it most of the time may equal a very different and less $$$ answer. The question coes down to how much $$ do you have to spend and how much of an issue would if be for you to deal with the engine possibly going down on you unexpectedly. IF you have the money and you want a engine you can stomp on when you want and not have to worry if it will be fine then fully built it is. But it you do not have or want to put forth that level of $$ and can deal with the fact that one day unexpectedly you may have to run off to the junk yard to get or already have a backup short block then you can get it done for far less.

Powersmokin32

Reaction score
I'm going to rebuild it from the bottom up, so I can stomp on it whenever I want. Also, 600hp isn't my goal. But I am building a motor to hold up to that so I wont have as much of a problem with 500-550hp.

What do some of yall think about cryo treating the rods and pistons? Vs the more high end forged rods?

TARM

Reaction score
IMO it all depends on the quality and consistency of the OEM rods before hand. If you could hand pick them out of a pile that would be ideal; where you could mic them at various points and weigh them. If 500-550 is the final goal, my guess and that is all it would be, is they would hold.

Use arp fasteners.
I would think filling the block partially would also be a good idea.
Balancing the assemble as well.
As you know a number of people are running in that power range these days with stock bottom ends and holding up fine.
Weld up the cam gear to the cam shaft end along with the piston cooling jets so they stay put long term. Take care of the pickup as well. Some of the things I see the BTDT guys recommending.
IMO key is getting a great tuner that also tends to be conservative with SOI timing.

Last edited:

Fl Stroker

Reaction score
I drive mine daily. Got 16k miles in 9 months with zero issues. All I can say is that I am one happy customer. One hell of a fun truck. The issue I had with the HPOP was resolved with zero issue and upgraded at no charge to me no questions asked. He'll I tried to pay the differance and was told no. That is what great customer service is and will continue to do business with Swamps diesel. I feel you get what you pay for.

Best of luck.

Powersmokin32

Reaction score
How many of you guys have purchased the performance cylinder heads from WOP, and what do you guys think? Been looking at some of their parts, along with planning on installing their girdle.

Lowdown89

Reaction score
Whatever you do I think finding a tuner who you can get to live tune the truck will make it last the longest, a lot of guys can get you really close but i think having it lived tune will make the truck a have an extra degree of reliability because in person the tuner my notice something about how your truck is running and be able to tweak it some and that could mean the difference between a long happy engine life and something popping.... Not saying it will but I think once you start getting up there in power levels thats the best for your engine

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.