Rebuilt my 4R!

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Found a few flaws in the ATSG book and a few things they didnt detail too well. But was a decent read.

Did the triple disc and a transgo tugger kit.

How do you guys like the shifts?

I believe this is Tony Wildman Daily tune too

https://youtu.be/72DBRt3oQWs

I think the only thing @Mark K will be mad at is we re used the Mechanical diode. The truck is a 2002, dont know why it had that but I wasnt going to do the update. Ill regret that later. We swung the parts by our buddy whose a trans builder and he didnt sweat the diode issue.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
Also, can someone walk me through the steps that the trans is doing? 1-2-3-convert lock, then OD?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
NCQz2gh.jpg

LUASo8e.jpg

mYuVFlg.jpg

Last edited:

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
Those shifts look a little lazy, what size did you drill too?

Did you do the convertor mods?

That shift sequence is correct. My TC lock up piles up on my 2-3rd shift. You have a much better split than I do.

Maybe the TW chip is affecting all of that. I have TW tunes and love them more than any other but I had him omit trans programming from my tunes.

Tiha

Super Moderator
Super Mod
Reaction score
Which tugger kit did you use?

The HD had a convertor mod to swap from a pwm to solid on off. Pretty awesome, with the right convertor it feels like another gear.

There are pump mods separate from convertor mods.

I guess if you got the cheaper kit you didn't get the spacer plate that you drill holes in to control shift firmness either?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
yes i got the plate. we drilled the minimum holes and i think it shifts too harsh,

my only real complaint is how short 1st gear is. im into 2nd gear halfway through a turn.

dsberman94

Reaction score
Looks like 2nd gear hits at 15? How fast are you going around corners? It sounds like a healthy shift, quick and firm. No sliding into the next gear.

dsberman94

Reaction score
I don’t think so. I drove mine a bit this morning. You probably just notice it more now because of the firmer shift. It could be changed in the tuning if you really don’t like it.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I don’t think so. I drove mine a bit this morning. You probably just notice it more now because of the firmer shift. It could be changed in the tuning if you really don’t like it.

Ok cool

dsberman94

Reaction score
I’ll get you a quick video of mine tomorrow when I bring it home from the in laws. To me it seems normal though.

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
I think the only thing @Mark K will be mad at is we re used the Mechanical diode. The truck is a 2002, dont know why it had that but I wasnt going to do the update. Ill regret that later.
The last mechanical diode was built in the spring of 2001. That's several months before 2002 production started. When was your truck built? The month and year are on the data decal in the driver's door opening.

Maybe someone swapped the trans for a 2001 at some point.

We swung the parts by our buddy whose a trans builder and he didnt sweat the diode issue.
He is probably the only trans builder out there with that attitude. Or maybe he is expecting to get the work when it does fail. And it will.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
The last mechanical diode was built in the spring of 2001. That's several months before 2002 production started. When was your truck built? The month and year are on the data decal in the driver's door opening.

Maybe someone swapped the trans for a 2001 at some point.

He is probably the only trans builder out there with that attitude. Or maybe he is expecting to get the work when it does fail. And it will.

Does his tag tell you anything?

And this is the diode right?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210307-202706_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20210307-202706_Photos.jpg
    743 KB · Views: 90
  • Screenshot_20210307-202724_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20210307-202724_Photos.jpg
    871.6 KB · Views: 77

Mark Kovalsky

Reaction score
That tag does have the trans build date. But I don't know how to read it.

And that one way clutch looks like a sprag to me, not the mechanical diode.

EPA

Reaction score
Tag read BD-2D19
Buid date- year, month, day. 2002, may 19th
This is how i have known the tags to work, I could be wrong but so far it's been accurate.
The month is a,b,c,d ect... A being January.

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
That tag does have the trans build date. But I don't know how to read it.

And that one way clutch looks like a sprag to me, not the mechanical diode.

Ok I'm just a little confused. That gear wih the diodes inside of it, I thought that's the dreaded mechanical diode?

Once it was installed it only turned one way.