rebuilt trans 3-5 harsh shift

slc dzl

Reaction score
So over the weekend I had my trans rebuilt. I was there watching over his shoulder as he built it and in the forward pack he installed only 5 of the 6 frictions stating that all 6 caused clearance issues and wouldn't fit.
Now the issue is my 3 to 5 shift is really harsh, it slams while the other shifts are smooth. This is on stock tuning btw and about 100 miles now, Could this missing friction clutch be causing this? Could it be another solenoid?

And I did ask the guy and he said it will improve as I drive it will get better.

The trans got
elite comp rebuild kit
billet input
billet intermediate
modified direct drive solenoid
rcd billet converter 2400 stall

webb06

Reaction score
I think he's right. The more you drive it the better it will get. May also try tuning it

Mixedbreed

Reaction score
Sounds like new clutches/solenoid and that snappy shift they give. Seems weird but you did have a wore out trans you were used to right?

Could just seem harsh. Plus tuning is a good thing to do because they can get the most out of it.

NathannialD

Reaction score
If he didn't include all the frictions what was the point of buying a comp kit??

I would take it back and have him do it correctly

slc dzl

Reaction score
Unplugged the batteries then followed this procedure

While driving, perform three series of upshifts at light, medium and heavy throttle..
While stopped, perform three sets of gear engagements (N-R, N-D, D-R, R-D) with the brake pedal firmly depressed and waiting three seconds between each engagement.

It is shifting great now and really liking how it drives.

Latest posts

Members online