redhead steering play

GreasyFingers

Reaction score
I finally replaced my worn out gear box with a Redhead, the steering was tight but extremely heavy and wouldn't return to center. I called Redhead and the kid who answered the phone didn't know anything. I asked him if there was a beak in period and he replied "probably". after about 800 miles the steering wasn't heavy anymore and the return to center was better but not good. However there was a lot of play in the wheel.

I called Redhead again to verify they received my core and asked about the issues I was having. They said it shouldn't be doing that and sent me a new gearbox right away. I finally got the 2nd box on and it isn't heavy nor do I have the return to center issue but there is a bit of play in the wheel, about 3/4"-1".

For those who have a redhead, is this normal? Am I expecting too much? Where else could the play be coming from? I have new tie rods, wheel bearings, and ball joints, but one of the ball joints recently wouldn't take grease, i think its hung up and I'll be replacing them again this summer when I get time. I have 265/70 /17 Micky Thompson's that are aired up to 60 psi.

I'd hate to send back another gearbox but my understanding is these things are supposed to be nun tight and the play drives me crazy.

GreasyFingers

Reaction score
Im thinking its the box. The first one was TIGHT! for about 200 miles then slowly loosened up to a lot of slop. If the play was in the column it wouldn't have been that tight the first week. I did suspect the column/steering shaft, I am planning to get a buddy rock the wheel so I can see were the play is coming from as soon as I get some time.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
We have installed probably 10 red head boxes and never have they felt to have a break in period. Generally if you follow the bleeding procedure correctly they are perfect right out of the shop.

Of course it is possible there is an issue, it would just be rare.

GreasyFingers

Reaction score
Like I said the kid didn't seem to know anything, I asked him if there was a break in period and he said yes. I took that with a grain of salt.

I guess I had the rare one because the steering was way heavy on the first box. I bled it for 10 minutes, stopped to clean up the shop and bled it again before pulling it off the lift.

Reaction score
I've been a member here for a couple years; just read a lot and not much to say.

I just put on my second redhead with similar issues: 1st gear extremely sloppy, second box is better but still has about 3/4" of play. My truck also has a brand new front end. Last piece was the gearbox.

I"m going to drive it for a while and see if it stays or gets worse. not thrilled....

Last edited:

GreasyFingers

Reaction score
I talked to Red Head again yesterday. They suggested I raise the truck, engine on, and verify the input and output move simultaneously. I'll try to get it done this weekend. Previously l did this with the wheels on the ground and the input would move a fair amount without the output moving.

Aaron S

Reaction score
What year trucks do you guys have that are having problems with?

I put a 2002 style box on my truck and it was perfect. After I installed 06 axles on the same truck. I installed the same year box on the truck(2006) that I had rebuilt from Redhead. All three I tried were tight with the wheels centered and had reduced turning power either left or right. They sounded a little aggravated when I asked for the third one.

I planned to install hydro assist, so I sent the third one to PSC. What I got back from PSC is definitely not tight. Its at the edge of an acceptable amount of play, but I got tired of Fing with it. That was two or three years ago. If I cant get it rebuilt to like new this time around Id almost rather buy a new or newer truck.

timj

Reaction score
Wow this sucks to hear. I've heard nothing but awesome results with redhead boxes.

buschpoweredstroker

Reaction score
I have no experience with red head, but anybody with new tie rod ends make sure to check them, we've had 2 superduty's with new 2 month old tie rod ends not drive well, and it was the new tie rods. Have someone move the wheel and verify that there is no "rolling" on the new joints. Like I said, I have no experience with red head, and it shouldn't vary from box to box, but it's something else to look at.

psduser1

Reaction score
I have no experience with red head, but anybody with new tie rod ends make sure to check them, we've had 2 superduty's with new 2 month old tie rod ends not drive well, and it was the new tie rods. Have someone move the wheel and verify that there is no "rolling" on the new joints. Like I said, I have no experience with red head, and it shouldn't vary from box to box, but it's something else to look at.

Ummmm, brand of tie rods would be helpful, in a redhead based thread.

GreasyFingers

Reaction score
I haven't had time to get the truck in the air. Been working a ton of OT and my plate is full. I'm hoping I can get to it next weekend.

I double checked my tie rods, they are fine. I know what you mean though, I've had a set of ball joints bad out of the box. One side turned nice and smooth with little pressure w/o the tie rod hooked up, the other side took some real man power to turn it. had to wait a week to get new ones in and do it all over again. Sh!t like that pisses me off! I do my research and pay top $ for good parts and still have a problem.

BTW my truck is a 2000 4wd with 287k but very well taken care of.

Derek@Vision Diesel

Reaction score
For anyone buying steering parts... buy Motorcraft. There is a reason the stock parts last 150k miles.
Aside for steering boxes, the motorcraft parts is all we use in the shop... with AWESOME results.

BlAcKeNeD

Reaction score
I would agree with you 100 percent... except for a steering box... I have installed 2 superduty boxes and honestly 1 was marginal at best. The one I installed on my 05 is almost horrible "play wise". I was informed by the dealership near me that you cannot get a "new" box from ford, they are all remans and most are "resealed". I was not at all impressed but that's just me... I'm sure there are others that were fine..

ftast350

Reaction score
so hard to focus on what your saying with that awesome GIF for a picture!!!

The Next Level

Reaction score
Installed Redhead yesterday. Tight! thats all I can say. All my components up front I replaced last fall with moog problem solvers.

Latest posts

Members online