Regular maintenance and premature failures

under construction

Reaction score
I have been having a few issues with the truck related to steering and handling. I was installing fox 2.0 shocks on the truck anyways so I decided to look everything over and have an alignment done. Much to my surprise all of the steering arms were shot. The drives side wheel bearing needed replaced and it needed front rotors and pads. The truck only has 64k on it. Has anyone else experienced these failure this early? I guess they just don't make things to last from the factory any more.

under construction

Reaction score
The owner before me was a doctor that drove the truck to work every day and towed his boat to lake noris. I bought it with roughly 50k on it and use it as a truck to tow trailers and haul things. It does not get babied but I don't abuse it either. Just seems a bit premature to me but the may just be the way it is. I was just curious if other we're experiencing the samething.

Notneb

Reaction score
I beat my trucks probably worse than most guys on here, and I will say on my 2012, tie rod ends, wheel bearings and bushings go fast. But again this is with some heavy offroad use. I ended up replacing 3 wheel bearings and 2 tier rod ends, and all the bushings twice. This was on a 4" BDS 4-Link with full rear deavers, and I took it up trails in Washington that Jeeps were scared to go.

Now how that relates to your situation: Never EVER believe what the last guy said he did with the truck he's trying to sell you... I told the dealership that took the '12 in on trade that it was a parking lot queen...

Jomax

Reaction score
My truck is tight as a whistle. And the last 30k was riding on King coilovers and abused.... Enough that my front axle is smiling a bit.

I'm at 34k now and expect it to last till 100k easy.

How wide of rims are you running?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jomax

Reaction score
I beat my trucks probably worse than most guys on here, and I will say on my 2012, tie rod ends, wheel bearings and bushings go fast. But again this is with some heavy offroad use. I ended up replacing 3 wheel bearings and 2 tier rod ends, and all the bushings twice. This was on a 4" BDS 4-Link with full rear deavers, and I took it up trails in Washington that Jeeps were scared to go.

Now how that relates to your situation: Never EVER believe what the last guy said he did with the truck he's trying to sell you... I told the dealership that took the '12 in on trade that it was a parking lot queen...

Pics of the old truck? Seems like you enjoyed it!

under construction

Reaction score
I agree with what you are saying, however I know the guy I bought it off of personally and know that it was well taken care of. He even gave me all of the invoices from the services at the dealership.

7.3powerstroke00

Reaction score
I have 109k on mine, ran 10 wides about 35k, lots of gravel, pasture, and county road driving, 4wd launches, couple burnouts. Still running all stock tie rods, ball joints, brakes, hub assemblies ect. And everything is still good. One thing that can be hard on steering components is turning the wheels on pavement or concrete without the vehicle moving...

sent from the best place on earth! TEXAS!

UNBROKEN

Reaction score
12 wides and wondering why things are wearing out early?
You gotta pay to play and if you're playing with 12-14" wide wheels you now see what they kill in a hurry.
Don't blame the truck....blame the mods.

under construction

Reaction score
It has had 12 wides on it for less than 10k miles. I agree that they will contribute to wear and tear and early failures but that seem premature even at that. This is not the first truck I have ran 12 wides on and I do realize that you have to pay to play just asking if others are experiencing the same things with or without these mods.

Jomax

Reaction score
I do however live down a .2 of a mile long gravel driveway and run 12 wide wheels. It had 10 wides on it when I bought it.

Wheels sticking out the fender kills everything FAST.

The guys running CARLI kits that abuse their trucks offroad, run 17x9in rims with 5.5inback space.

Sage Carlis personal 2011 lasted 40k before a set of ball joints. ( his truck is the test dummy) abuse beyond imagination. And bearings way later.

Last edited:

under construction

Reaction score
It was a nautique wake boat and I'm not sure of the brakes on the trailer. I will say I this is my first experience with unit bearings on a vehicle versus the old school hub and bearing assembly which are inherently stronger and hold up to more abuse. The small landscape trailer I haul now on a regular basis is a single axle 14' trailer with no brakes and I will say that does not help my front brakes.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I suppose that is all in the driver. I can stretch a set of brakes out 80-100k easy. But that's my driving style. Lots of highway too. I purposely avoid rough roads and never see gravel other than my 1000ft long driveway. Zero play at 57k.

Notneb

Reaction score
I suppose that is all in the driver. I can stretch a set of brakes out 80-100k easy. But that's my driving style. Lots of highway too. I purposely avoid rough roads and never see gravel other than my 1000ft long driveway. Zero play at 57k.

This 100%. I barely get a set of pads to go past 20k on my hard use rigs. Daily driver is currently at 60k on the current set.

Latest posts

Members online