Reliable rig?

Codydiesel

Reaction score
I would do a 2nd gen with a 12v and manual trans. I know most of the guys that pipeline love those trucks, they take the abuse so well even with the 3,000+ pounds of stuff over the rear axle. If anything breaks usually something can be rigged up to keep you going till you have a chance to fix it.

Notneb

Reaction score
Thanks guys, sorry to bother! I'll go big some 12v guys or the guys over at steel soldier...

SpartanDieselTech

Reaction score
It would be very easy to build a 6.7 with a Non-VGT, and make it pretty much 100% non-reliant on any of the electronics.

Basically, with the right tune file, as long as it has a working injection pump and 8 working injectors, a cam and crank sensor, VCV and PCV valve, it will run.

I think people have some mis-conceptions or worries about the electronics at times, yet every form and fashion of limp-mode can be wiped out.

If it were my truck, it would have no MAF sensor, and the other temperature sensors would be defunct except only for references. No diagnostics, no effect on calibration. Unless it's a hard engine part that fails, it will keep on chugging. Same for the trans. You could carry an extra injector, PCV/VCV, and cam and crank sensors in a box the size of an oil filter. Hell, it wouldn't even be hard to keep an extra injection pump and tools necessary. Not something I'd want to swap on a trail somewhere, but it could most certainly be done.

Notneb

Reaction score
The ONLY reason I'm not going to use my '15 is simply: it's too nice. If I could get a hold of a RCLB 6.7 XL for less than 20k, this post would be a build thread lol. I'm looking heavily at getting around the shipping costs of a Duece and 1/2, for obvious reasons...

Rubenk

Reaction score
The ONLY reason I'm not going to use my '15 is simply: it's too nice. If I could get a hold of a RCLB 6.7 XL for less than 20k, this post would be a build thread lol. I'm looking heavily at getting around the shipping costs of a Duece and 1/2, for obvious reasons...

Any chance of buying a cheap truck in country?

Notneb

Reaction score
I'm leaning hard towards a duece or even a 5 ton, something like an M900's platform. And yes I'll buy it and build it, here in the states.

Rubenk

Reaction score
That would work, but gets significantly more expensive. Also if you go with a newer platform you're back with a modern-ish diesel. I sold my good running deuce for $3500.

Older 2.5 or 5 ton will have multifuel, but less amenities. Lots of badass builds on steel soldiers for sale usually.

Notneb

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not too worried when it comes to rigs like that, because even the newer 90's model 5 tons still are simple to work on. I'm just looking for a bare bones, no thrills platform, to which I can build off of.

My original plan was to get a bare bones XL trim, cut the roof and back out, remove the bed, and fab up an integrated "camper". So a deuce is perfect for this, seeing as the cab rear and top are much easier to work with fabrication-wise, and honestly I'm not going to be going anywhere offroad where I will fear the weight or size of a deuce.

Also this will give me more options as far as the camper part goes. I can pretty much carry my own workshop, and all the iron stock I'd need to weld or fab up parts, in the middle of nowhere.

Now the question is: Do I do a build thread on PSA as well as Steel Soldiers? lol

Rubenk

Reaction score
Get a command unit and you're mostly there!

5_000_1971_am_general_m109a3_deuce_a_half_21922831.jpg

cbf9703

Reaction score
Heavier truck...f450...
I disagree here. The roads are terrible and the majority of what you find there is small and/or underpowered. When you are in the rainy season and you're on a road with potholes that will swallow a Volkswagen and clay that is slicker than owl ****, you don't always want the heaviest vehicle there.
I wish I could justify the cost of a turn key Fummins... I just don't believe a 7.3 will keep enough power at 20k feet, and I don't trust the body/frame of a Dodge in any of the 5.9 years. As far as parts, unless I'm driving anything Toyota, I'm S.O.L. due to 60% import tax on all parts. I'll have to rely on a portable welder, common parts being carried along with me, and luck, lol.
I have a 97 12v and would bring it down in a heartbeat. I have a built Auto, but I would prefer a manual for Central and South America and to go as mechanical as possible in general knowing how tough it is to get parts even from dealerships when you can find them.

Plus, 6 cylinder is cheaper to import than 8 everywhere I've been down there.
Take it for what it's worth...

I've owned lots of dodge work trucks. The drive train is more than capable for what your wanting. The axles in the 2nd gens are Dana 60, 70, 80. The frames aren't has "beefy" looking as a ford but are no slouch either. The 5.9 is a stupid simple engine "I've had many running on the floor with a battery and gas can". Also with a 5.9, that engine is used in power plants all over the country. You'd have a much higher chance of finding parts vs any other engine platform from what your going to do. Alternator takes a dump...oh well. Keep running or roll start it. Try that with a ford engine.

You're obvisouly going to get a biased opinion here which is normal. I like my ford trucks but you simply can not beat the simplicity of a 12v dodge. Those trucks are tough. Rebuild the front end, steering brace, lift pump, good clutch and throw out bearing, 5th gear fix, replace and rtv the tappet cover gasket (even if it's not leaking), and start your build of the camper.

I've beat the hell out of those trucks and for your intended purpose...there's no way I'd choose a ford. I've been left stranded and waiting on a trailer here in the rural country. Let alone on the side of a goat mountain in a 3rd world country.
This.

FWIW we've personally run samurais, Toyota Tacoma and Hilux, Land Rover, Chinese ****, and Dodge Sprinter vans all over Mexico, Guatemala, Honduras, and Belize... not as much altitude as you're talking, but very remote where we are overall. My mom has an '03 sprinter passenger van that she took most of the seats out of and converted into a camper down there. She will take it into the mountains for a week or so at a time and it's made many trips across borders with items stored under the bed to avoid customs. LOL Other than the PIA that sprinters are for getting the right parts, it has actually done remarkably well considering how few "paved" roads it has seen in the last decade.

Oh I'm not biased at all. I love Dodges and Fords. I'm in NO way a brand loyalist, hell I own a '08 2500 Cummins. This has nothing to do with that, it's more: what can I rely on in a 3rd world country vs what can I rely on in the US?

A 12v Cummins in a newer ford body is my dream truck, but cost-wise ill be hard pressed to do that AND fab up a compact camper under the budget I've set.
Having lived in Central America and knowing the roads outside of the cities, the difficulty of getting parts, dealing with import / custom / the "Postal Service" when you can get something shipped in (if your package doesn't get opened and contents go missing before it gets to you) and general wear and tear on the vehicle... I would strongly suggest going with a simple platform and bring additional front end parts.

Any chance of buying a cheap truck in country?
I would also look into this. Get a container and ship down everything you think you want for the build, but there are a ton of trucks that have already been imported in Central and South America. There are also some pretty sweet vehicles that you can't buy in the US.... not that it helps for this thread, but the diesel Ford Ranger wildtrak is pretty cool.

Now the question is: Do I do a build thread on PSA as well as Steel Soldiers? lol

Yes.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Notneb

Reaction score
Cbf, I'd love to pick your brain some more on this, ESPECIALLY if you still have contacts south of the border. I've decided on an M900 platform with the plan to just carry everything with me, excluding parts I can fab up myself.

Anything at all that you can think of that is a "must have", feel free to post on here! So far I'm going with 14.00 super singles, aftermarket CTIS system, beefed up onboard air, 20k front winch, and welder/generator. Now keep in mind this is just a start. I'd like to keep the build under 50k, but we all know how project budgets go... So realistically probably closer to 75k all said and done.

Also roughly looking at 30k of weight all said and done, but I'm hoping that between the singles, functional CTIS, lockers and winch, that I won't spend most my time stuck. Again, all thoughts are welcome! Also since this is no longer 6.4 related, if mods would t mind moving it to "projects", I'm sure the 6.4 guys would appreciate it!

Jomax

Reaction score
How much elevation have you seen in a 7.3? I'm not wanting to go too overboard on performance for obvious reliability concerns, yet I don't want a dog at 20k feet.

I've been at 10k elevation, and it wasn't much worse then 1k elevation, I wouldn't worry about that.

I'd buy a 6.7 for this before a 6.4.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jomax

Reaction score
Cbf, I'd love to pick your brain some more on this, ESPECIALLY if you still have contacts south of the border. I've decided on an M900 platform with the plan to just carry everything with me, excluding parts I can fab up myself.

Anything at all that you can think of that is a "must have", feel free to post on here! So far I'm going with 14.00 super singles, aftermarket CTIS system, beefed up onboard air, 20k front winch, and welder/generator. Now keep in mind this is just a start. I'd like to keep the build under 50k, but we all know how project budgets go... So realistically probably closer to 75k all said and done.

Also roughly looking at 30k of weight all said and done, but I'm hoping that between the singles, functional CTIS, lockers and winch, that I won't spend most my time stuck. Again, all thoughts are welcome! Also since this is no longer 6.4 related, if mods would t mind moving it to "projects", I'm sure the 6.4 guys would appreciate it!

You'll be at 100k lol

I'd skip the duece.

I'd run a full suspension setup, to be able to outrun the bad guys. Coil over bypass etc, airbags if needed.

I don't think you'd be fast enough in a deuce ..

cbf9703

Reaction score

Same advice I'd give anyone planning a trip to the area for must have starters: tire plugs, on-board air, battery jump box, and front end components. LOL If driving down through Mexico or similar touristy areas make a high quality color copy of your license or bring an expired one if you get to keep them. They're great when the officer holds your hostage and offers you to simply pay them instead of having a ticket written. I always just say, that's fine, keep the license and act like I'm going to drive off... their tune changes pretty quickly at that point and I have yet to get a ticket.

I don't care how much time you spend off road in the states (I've spent my fair share in a variety of terrain from sand and mud to woods and heavy rocks), it does not prepare you for the sustained beating your vehicle and body can take on the roads down there. Yes, there are modern highways especially in a lot of the higher end tourist areas, but 15 mph is pushing it on the hard baked washboard clay in the villages. At the height of the dry season there may be 3" of powder on top, it's worse than driving in snow. And the potholes.... everywhere. The "paved" roads can be a joke. I've seen some with more potholes than pavement left. But the fruit and cane trucks keep barreling down the roads and making them worse. Just remember, they drive by picking the BEST side of the road, right or left. Having said that, it can be a blast. I'll be back for a couple weeks this summer helping with some projects.

If it were me I'd be looking to trim weight... the best winch in the world doesn't do you any good if you don't have a good winch point. Any reason why you're set on that platform?

And yes, lots of contacts, been involved the last 15 years and my mom holds dual citizenship- she moved there full time in '02 so I always have a good excuse to travel. We ship at least a couple containers a year and are active in a wide variety of projects both in both the civilian and government sectors. Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any specific questions or want to bounce any ideas off someone.

You'll be at 100k lol

I'd skip the duece.

I'd run a full suspension setup, to be able to outrun the bad guys. Coil over bypass etc, airbags if needed.

I don't think you'd be fast enough in a deuce ..

I'd also skip the duece personally, but to each their own.

Older thread, but similar idea... http://powerstrokearmy.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62904

Notneb

Reaction score
I'd rather just not care about bad guys than feel the need to out run them, lol. I plan on putting AR500 plates around vital areas and the cab, so unless they're packing .50 bmg, all good in the hood.

As far as why I'm selecting a deuce or 5 ton, I'm not looking to go fast. The point of this rig is to just go places no one else really pays attention to. I'm not saying I want to bomb through the deserts at 90 or tackle 45 degree inclines strewn with mud and rock. I simply want the best platform for living at my own pace, down south.

I guess I should specify more: This trip will be a whole year. I want to start in the US, make my way down through central america, ship the truck to columbia, then continue down as far south as I can, spending about a month or whatever in each country. I want it to be fully self sufficient, so that I never have to stay in a city.

Make no mistake, this is not a tourist run, I want to see the actual countries, not the dumb touristy over priced expat destinations. The more I approach this build, the more a bigger military style truck makes sense. I don't have to waterproof it, or build a special intake/exhaust for fording *A deuce can do 10ft of static water*, easily accommodate 150 gallons of fuel *MRAP self seal tank swap*, and it's pretty damn simple to work on.

Also I'll be removing the cab and fabbing up my own, to make a smoother transition from cab to camper, it will look like one piece. So while I have the cab off, I'll install airbags to the frame for the cab to sit on. Same concept as big rig cabs, but it will allow me to add more weight and rigidity to the cab/camper in the form of armor, yet not worry about flex on the chassis. This will help with transmitted road vibration also, win win.

I like that post, but it's a different style of trekking than I will be doing. I realize I've never been down to SA or driven their roads, but I'm in no hurry, so I have no need to worry about rough roads. If I only make 2 miles a day, big whoop, I've got a rolling hotel, lol.

Another thing that is a HIGH possibility is I might not bring the truck back, and if it's a 70's deuce, the laws that prohibit it staying in country, no longer apply.

To bring this novel to an end: I have a year to do the trip, maybe more, depends on if I like it down there enough to stay longer. Cost is NOT an issue *don't let the gf see this* in this build, just might take me longer lol. Keep the comments coming, seriously good stuff. It's a fluid build, if enough people have legit reasons why one platform just won't work better than another, could end up in a hilux... lol

79jasper

Reaction score
Main thing I could say is route the exhaust out the back or find a good muffler.
And line the whole cab well with a sound deadener.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online