Replace wheel in stock turbo or new setup?

black'n'blue

Reaction score
I've searched on here using crapatalk and found nothing. I would like some input on changing my stock wheel out for a ww2 or something else. I've been told that it's not worth the time or money, but for $230 for www I don't see how it's not any better. A billet wheel compared to a cast wheel should produce some type of performance upgrade, at least for quicker spool up. I know you can only go so far with a stock turbo and I'm not looking to break any hp records. Just looking for a mild performance/wallet friendly upgrade. Truck mods are: blue spring, banjos, intake, 4" dp to 5" sp, studs, EGR delete, Innovatives 40 hp Ficm tune, and livewire 5015 w/ innovative's x street tune.

sootie

Reaction score
changing wheels without balancing is never a good plan. have a look at the stage 1 or 1.5 from barder.

one of our stock injector trucks runs the stage 1 and it is perfect for just a tuned truck. good spool, good mileage, good sound and cheap to boot!

Merc82

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about balancing when it comes to swapping out a stock wheel with a billet one of the same size. It would be optimal, but you should be OK. Anything larger than stock and I would say hell yes, get it balanced. I haven't heard a lot of great things about the WW2 however, I would probably pick one up from KC or Harder.

Josh@DirtyDiesels

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about balancing when it comes to swapping out a stock wheel with a billet one of the same size. It would be optimal, but you should be OK. Anything larger than stock and I would say hell yes, get it balanced. I haven't heard a lot of great things about the WW2 however, I would probably pick one up from KC or Harder.

What does the size of the compressor wheel have to do with the assembly being balanced? Fill us all in please!

Reaction score
What does the size of the compressor wheel have to do with the assembly being balanced? Fill us all in please!

CommentPhotos.com_1391958779.jpg

sootie

Reaction score

soooo if you put new tires on your truck as long as they were the same size as stock you don't need to balance them? riiiight.

Strokin89

Reaction score
I looked into the wicked wheel also but I just decided to save the $200+ for a new turbo. That'd be Ur best route. I'll be hitting up barder soon as I have the funds

2005 F250 6.0 powerstroke, 6 speed manual, egr delete, arp head studs, new oil cooler, aftermarket coolant filter, custom intake, 4" down pipe into dual 6" stacks, 8" lift, TSD super panty dropper tune.

MT KingRanch

Reaction score
My truck just came out of the shop last week with studs, Sinister Y-pipes and R.R. fuel system, BPD water pump and 7.3 fan clutch setup, I had ordered a wheel from Charlie at KC to be put in at the time, was good timing as I was looking at the stock wheel prior to it going to the shop and found the turbo inlet tube was coming apart at the turbo and the vanes were very rough shape, when they took it apart two tiny pieces were chipped off, mech found them, cleaned turbo all up and installed KC wheel, with wheel and Y-pipes there is a noticeable difference in how it pulls, now if SCT would just get their
X4 to tune 03-04 6.0's I'd be very happy.
Was just over on .org and Charlie said they just released a 10 blade turbine for the 04-07 turbos that should give it a little boost, if I hadn't missed that window of opportunity I would have picked the turbine wheel up also.
Prolly won't tear turbo apart for just that will wait 2-3 months and get a 1.5 or a 2.0 for myself for X-mas.:D

Strokin89

Reaction score
My truck just came out of the shop last week with studs, Sinister Y-pipes and R.R. fuel system, BPD water pump and 7.3 fan clutch setup, I had ordered a wheel from Charlie at KC to be put in at the time, was good timing as I was looking at the stock wheel prior to it going to the shop and found the turbo inlet tube was coming apart at the turbo and the vanes were very rough shape, when they took it apart two tiny pieces were chipped off, mech found them, cleaned turbo all up and installed KC wheel, with wheel and Y-pipes there is a noticeable difference in how it pulls, now if SCT would just get their
Was just over on .org and Charlie said they just released a 10 blade turbine for the 04-07 turbos that should give it a little boost, if I hadn't missed that window of opportunity I would have picked the turbine wheel up also.
Prolly won't tear turbo apart for just that will wait 2-3 months and get a 1.5 or a 2.0 for myself for X-mas.:D

Not to derail the thread but why did u put a 7.3 clutch fan in? This is the second time I've heard someone doing that. What is the benefit?

2005 F250 6.0 powerstroke, 6 speed manual, egr delete, arp head studs, new oil cooler, aftermarket coolant filter, custom intake, 4" down pipe into dual 6" stacks, 8" lift, TSD super panty dropper tune.

Reaction score
I've never had a problem with an X4 on 03-04, what's it doing?

scparrish

Reaction score
Why not just get a custom tune that locks up the stock fan off of both oil and coolant temp?

That is always an option. It was time for me to replace my fan clutch so I went mechanical. So far it has been more consistent and has done a better job for my application. And one less thing to keep track of when trying to get tunes made.

MT KingRanch

Reaction score
Not yet,I want my .02
97 7.3 fan clutch and BPD Adaptor is the cats meow to knock those temps down for towing in hot weather and hot climates. Stock puter controlled fan doesn't do jack squat. I've seen 240 EOT and close to 220 ECT's, and whens the fan running! Hardly ever!!
SCT just had a fix for the X4 come out this afternoon, they had around 200 people with 03-04 6.0's and new X4's that wouldn't read the vehicle, mine acted up a month ago after the first update, went back to them twice, now on it's way back, I bought a second X4 last week, it wouldn't recognize my PCM right out of the box, firmware is fixed and updated now, working fine.
I posted story over on .org. another guy popped up, had same thing happen.
Tech at SCT said they had around 200 guys waiting for the fix, said he's not looking forward to tomorrow,:hammer:
Derail over!!;)

Dieselsite

Reaction score
We own a turbo balancer. For the most part, if you properly balance the compressor wheel and the turbine wheel/shaft independently, the assembly will also be balanced. I and every turbo manufacturer do this on a daily basis. We have the ability to balance wheels, shafts and complete center section assemblies in house.

The funny thing is that many "manufacturers" don't even have a balancer in house and tout the importance of assembly balancing as sales of wheels aren't good for the turbo sales business.

Bob

black'n'blue

Reaction score
While we're on the subject of turbo's again, would anyone happen to know why I'm getting a low-pitch howling noise from my turbo right after I got the 40 hp Ficm tune from innovative? I never heard it before the tune.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.