Replacement Starters

jschildm

Reaction score
Sorry if there is already a thread on this here, but I was unable to search and find it. I was wondering about everyone's opinion on best replacement starters for our trucks. Mine is cranking slow for a few cranks, so I think it is nearing replacement time. I have heard mostly good things about the DB units, obviously a new motorcraft is a good option, and i have also heard of people getting newer 7.3 starters (maybe out of an '02). What is everyones opinion and experiences?

mjonesjr

Reaction score
The DB Electrical starters are good starters. I am running one on my '97 and love it.

The mounting on the DB's are the same as the Super Duty OEM starters. They have 2 bolts instead of 3 like the OBS starter. The DB has the same torque as the OEM Super Duty's.

PSDEng

Reaction score
I believe that the SD starters from Napa work quite well also, plus come with a lifetime warranty. I personally haven't had anything but bad luck with DB products.

Bobby@cp

Reaction score
Go with a SD starter, that way then if it fails you got the replacement easier.

jschildm

Reaction score
I wish I was back in Indiana so I could use the farm account at NAPA and not have to spend as much there. The DB unit doesn't require a core, claims to be a Denso starter, and has a pretty price tag. Mine isn't dead, just seems a bit sluggish, so it might not happen right away. I will definately be doing either the DB or SD style though. I will be home around Easter, so I could get it then.

Thanks for you input guys. If anyone else has other options, or has had experiences with any of the above feel free to chime in. The more feedback there is, the easier it is to make the most informed decision.

dave186

Reaction score
Im on my 3rd napa SD starter. They warranty them but im tired of changing them. This last one I put in seems a bit better, hopefully it lasts.

TyCorr

Reaction score
Im on my 3rd napa SD starter. They warranty them but im tired of changing them. This last one I put in seems a bit better, hopefully it lasts.

Exactly! Gets tiresome changing warranty parts all the.time..

I.got.a NEW mitsubish starter, gear reduction. Then it got ruined(it failed but because it was involuntarily cranked for five minutes and melted the guts out) due to.gem getting wet. Got a cheaper rebuilt one from oreillys. Its fine but a little slower cranking.

Fly By Night

Reaction score
Send the member GTO Killer on here a PM, he sold me a gear reduction unit a year ago, its been awesome, and cranks the thing sooo fuggin fast.

Tom S

Reaction score
The original DB starters seemed to be very good then guys were not happy with them like the supplier had changed. Mine has been fine so far but it was from the earlier group.

jschildm

Reaction score
I noticed on their website now, they say it is a genuine Denso starter. Is that what they have supposedly been the whole time, or is that a change; does anyone know?

Estrogen Hostage

Reaction score
I got a Denso 4kw starter new from a truck shop. IIRC, it was like $300 but totally worth it. It probably cranks 50% faster than the old one. IIRC, this is it: Denso 280-4204.

Mike

Gary

Reaction score
I bought a new SD starter off ebay from a place in Florida, it was a POS, didn't make one start(cranked over real slow with a high amp draw). It didn't have any name or country of origin on it. I sent it back but was charged for the shipping both ways. I just bought a starter locally with a lifetime warranty.

old man dave

Reaction score
2002 is for sure one of the replacement two bolt mount SD starters. I've been using a Motorcraft SD starter for years without any problems at all. The only change is you need a 6mm nut for the soleniod wire and need to ream out the stock 5mm wire lug a bit.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.