Replacing oil cooler

Mudboyzach

Reaction score
I have an 04 f250 6.0 and I'm going to ****** the egr and put a new up pipe on it. My question is I have a livewire ts and coolent and oil temps read anywhere from 6 to 12 degrees different I know anything above 14 to change it but since it's don't should I since I will be there doing the ******?

slc dzl

Reaction score
I would if it were me, your already going to be in there.
But I would do a coolant filter and flush while the old one is still in there.

Decker

Reaction score
Put coolant filter on drive it like that for a while. Then flush the coolant. Also since your already in there for egr might as well do it. Change coolant filter when you put cooler in. I was annoyed when I did egr ****** then went back to do the oil cooler. Since I already did the work. Your already about 80% of the way there when you do the egr.

Decker

Reaction score
Back flushing the coolant helped for a while but didn't last long. But Yeah I also made that mistake my first time. Put new cooler in but never drained and flushed the old coolant out. Just got clogged again and had go back in about a year later and replace again. Learned from my mistakes tho. Back flush the coolant out the block with distilled water till comes out clear. Plug block back up, and filled with distilled water. Drove around till it got warm (about ten miles) until thermostat open up for full circulation. Went back drain again. Repeated this about 3-4 time till it came clear. Put new oil cooler in and refill with a mix of full concentrate and distilled. Haven't had a problem since.

This was my experience and fix. Others may come in and correct me If I did something wrong. But worked for me.

6.0 Tech

Reaction score
Run vc9 from ford thru it prior to flushing with distilled water. Put two bottles in and.top off with distilled, then do what Decker said. However, make sure you only pull one block plug at a time, otherwise, it will all run out the drivers side and not make it to the passenger.

Latest posts

Members online