Reprogramming the IDM?

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Talked to my mechanic this evening and he's helping me with my P1211 code. (High/low ICP). He told me that with MY (not swamps) Gen 3 pump putting out more HPO than what the computer is used to seeing, I need to send my IDM in to a place that works on them and reprogram it to allow more HPO pressure and less duty cycle. This is a first for me and probably y'all also, but makes sense. I told him I had a custom tuned chip but he says that's just for timing and pulse width.

Yes he is just a mechanic and not much in the performance end of it.

Is he wrong or got a point?

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
I dont think thats necessarily the IDMs job... Hasnt your setup been done 1000 times?

superpsd

Reaction score
There is no reprogramming the IDM they are plug and play between all years. They all have the same 110V output (unless modified for higher voltage and higher frequency) The FICM on the 6.0s can be tuned. The pump may be putting out more volume but the PCM controls the pressure via the IPR excess oil just bleeds off thru the IPR. The PCM used the calibration tables and parameters on the chip to control the IPR. Example would be if you put on a bigger pump but no tuning changes at idle if the ICP desired table calls for 550PSI at idle then it will use the IPR to attempt to maintain 550psi. The duty cycle will be lower as the valve does not have to work as hard to build pressure as there is more volume.

Last edited:

Magnum PD

Reaction score
So a properly tuned chip going in the PCM will take care of "changes" like ICP?

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Thank ya. Will pass it on and get chip tuned by someone who can do it.

I emailed PHP but haven't heard back lately.

Latest posts

Members online