RetroCustomz lights Beware: Pic Heavy

Notneb

Reaction score
Ok so after seeing Mikeyfitz's aftermarket headlights, I just had to have them. I put in the order about a month ago, and they arrived yesterday. This will be a rough install write up that should help anyone who's on the fence about these lights.

Ok so first thing: THERE ARE NO INSTRUCTIONS, this is a fairly simple install if you're good with electrical work. If not, it might seem overwhelming at first.

025_zpsonpf98ux.jpg

026_zpssei7qfil.jpg

027_zpsr62yt0vu.jpg

Truck before

Ok so the biggest problem I ran into was just that with the LED floods protrude backwards in the housing so that the hole that's supposed to be plugged by the old turn signal housing.
retro%20light%20holes_zps1ca7l5ew.jpg

The red circle is the one I'm talking about, you can see the flood light housing is almost flush with that hole making it impossible to fit the bulb housing in to seal the hole. The blue circle is the side marker bulb housing which you can still use to plug the hole.
028_zpsuftohcpq.jpg

Here's a close up of the hole with some sealant around the hole. I used a DVD case to make the little plastic block off pieces.
029_zps8qkqf2m4.jpg

Okay next I removed the grille and old lights, super super simple, 4 bolts on each light, 1 top, 2 on each inside face, and 1 underneath. Once they're out you can start planning on what side you want the main wiring harness for the HID's to connect. Since we have 2 batteries, either side will work, however since I don't have my stock airbox, this free's up a lot of room on the passenger side, so that's the side I went with.
048_zps0ilkvq5m.jpg

So ignore the dirty prefilter, and that rolled up wiring is for the top floods, that I was going to wire to a switch then said **** it and am going to tie into my fog lights later today. You can see I just mounted the main harness control module to the old airbox inlet. The ballast is mounted inside actually.
049_zpsxnrnpikq.jpg

Here's the positive battery connection for the main harness.

I decided to use the driver side battery to connect my demon eyes controller. I'll be picking up some plastic conduit to put around this so It's not so trashy looking...
038_zpsnprcn9r0.jpg

Next I mounted the wireless receiver for the Demon Eyes. The plastic shield above the main radiator proved to be my best bet.
051_zpsazm7b8lu.jpg

The lights themselves! Ok so actually once the routing of the main harness and ballast mounting is done, it's pretty simple.
033_zpssasctdfg.jpg

Here you can see the open bay, where you have plenty of room to work. You're going to need to cut only one wire bundle, which is nice. Also make sure to save the cut connectors in case you ever need to go back to stock, this way you can just solder on the stock connector if need be.
034_zps3jilf6ca.jpg

Here are the 3 connectors, you'll be cutting the middle one off, aka the big brown one. This is your turn signal/parking lights. This is where your LED strip wires will be soldered on. You'll want to solder in some resistors, 6 Ohms, to keep it from thinking a bulb is blown, and flashing at a heightened interval.
035_zpsfmy6ftls.jpg

Here's a close up of the connector. The wires are different colors on each side so play it safe and make sure you check on both sides to find out which one is the parking lights and which one is the turn signal. Black is ground on both sides though. Make sure when you cut this connector, to leave yourself enough material on the connector side to re-solder if need be.

Ok, the only other connector you will need is one of the stock headlight leads, either side. Since I mounted my main harness controller on the passenger side, I used the passenger headlight lead. This lead plugs into the only unlabeled plug on your wiring harness. This lead tells the controller when the headlights are on and when High beams are on.
036_zps76lymdo9.jpg

After that it's just a matter of plugging everything in to it's corresponding connector, and mounting the new lights. You will probably have to adjust them once you've got everything back together, mine were WAY low. Here's a few pics of the final product.
041_zpsg4jvsp0h.jpg

042_zpsfdw2cvcz.jpg

043_zpsk6xw5vva.jpg

044_zpsabv6c3nr.jpg

045_zpskvnno1n9.jpg

046_zpstcyi46fc.jpg

052_zpsizglqzkm.jpg

053_zpsdyqwokrg.jpg

054_zpsb6qychtx.jpg

055_zpscgd8awwb.jpg

And so Jcain won't whine, token Yoga Pants shots...
056_zps0xxxb2am.jpg

And to make up for the lack of Yoga Pants in my last post:
057_zps0g3yjblm.jpg

MorganM

Reaction score
Nice.

When you say adjust- do you mean the whole light housing, HID or the LED?

I was under the impression that you couldn't adjust the HID projector once it's secured in the housing and sealed.

Wyo6.4KingRanch

Reaction score
You can adjust them just as you would with a regular halogen bulb if they are kwiksteel-Ed to the old chrome housing. I just did my own retrofit with my 2008 and would say they turned out pretty good. I was skeptical of the sealant process so added a layer of clear coat all the way around.

Notneb

Reaction score
The LED strip turns Amber for turning, I'll snap pics when I get home.

BOHICA256

Reaction score
Yes awesome write up! I hate doing electrical stuff. Absolutely hate it. I could definitely do it by following this. Now just if I can get my girlfriend to wear her yoga pants and help out..

Notneb

Reaction score
Glad you guys liked it, hopefully it helps people! And good luck with convincing her ;)

JMart

Reaction score
Thanks, yeah now it's making me want to body match the grille surround...

I was going to say "now do something about that grill" but I know I have enough problems with this site making me spend money. Didn't want to put that presure on someone else. LOL

Notneb

Reaction score
Yeah, I know, I still need traction bars and 3 links, before I do more cosmetic crap... First world probs!

Latest posts

Members online