Rocker arm and why people are stupid

johnp115

Reaction score
I've seen some crazy stuff. People wonder why I look at them like they're craft when they talk about shopping at area used truck lots. I've been privy to some pretty shameful stuff on the wholesale and retail side of used truck sales.

I just flat out won't deal with dealers or shops that turn out shoddy stuff like that, and I assure you, in this area, that leaves a very small pool of people I'll deal with.

I only know two area truck lots that I can send people to that will actually at least fix the bare minimum of issues CORRECTLY. Everything else I see is pure patch & punt BS.

I really don't make much on the trucks I buy/sell, but I sleep good at night knowing that it'll most likely be one of if not the best used vehicle they've owned because I go above and beyond replacing potential failure points with quality OEM stuff.

Obviously I buy/sell trucks on a hobby level, not professional, so I can afford that luxury.

My point? Buy private party from an enthusiast :)

Yup. They know the right price and usually dont half ass stuff/destroy their trucks. When something comes through a dealer you have no clue about the history or even how it has been treated by the workers of the dealership...

cbf9703

Reaction score
I don't understand that mentality with dealers, you would think at some point it would hurt their reputation. Then again so many people think you have to go to a car lot or dealership for the best quality because they've 'checked it over'. Can't trust them shade tree mechanics or someone who has done it themselves, regardless of their experience. :shrug: makes total sense to buy from a lot that paints right over the spare tire and then claims there's no rust and look at how clean the frame is.... Yep, not obvious that you just painted it and didn't take the time to pull the spare tire down or anything...

OP, thanks for sharing your misfortune although I hate it for you. I'm amazed at the things people will do to screw someone on a vehicle deal.

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
It's my favorite part of the hobby. I love horsepower and all, but over the years, I've come to focus mainly on buying/fixing/selling them.

Keeps me from just flat out burning money because theoretically I make money on them, but more importantly, I get to change vehicles frequently (I get bored easily lol), and I get to meet fellow enthusiasts.

I still keep in touch with people I've met buying/selling vehicles over 20 yrs ago.

Carry on

Yup. They know the right price and usually dont half ass stuff/destroy their trucks. When something comes through a dealer you have no clue about the history or even how it has been treated by the workers of the dealership...

Swsignal5

Reaction score
Hey everyone.... I recently got a 08 f250, king ranch. The truck had 170k on it but, was clean beyond belief. Anyway, it started with the notorious thumping back in the intake. Upon research, I found that rocker arm failure was pretty common with these trucks. I pulled the valve cover last night to find more than worn rockers. This is the true meaning of why people need killing. The part that kills me is that, where they put the shim was on one of the better rockers. Also, if anyone knows where to buy rockers besides the Ford dealer, I would appreciate it. Ive seen them online for 240 a set/assembly but they are on backorder. Ford of course wants 600 per assembly!! Thanks in advance.

I just bought some from my local dealer. I can get them. OEM ones and there not too pricy my cost. How many do you need?

Swsignal5

Reaction score
Hey everyone.... I recently got a 08 f250, king ranch. The truck had 170k on it but, was clean beyond belief. Anyway, it started with the notorious thumping back in the intake. Upon research, I found that rocker arm failure was pretty common with these trucks. I pulled the valve cover last night to find more than worn rockers. This is the true meaning of why people need killing. The part that kills me is that, where they put the shim was on one of the better rockers. Also, if anyone knows where to buy rockers besides the Ford dealer, I would appreciate it. Ive seen them online for 240 a set/assembly but they are on backorder. Ford of course wants 600 per assembly!! Thanks in advance.

Just looked at my receipt. $65/rocker assembled which has intake and exhaust on one base. $520 for 8. I also bought push rods and they were $5 each

whtdmax

Reaction score
I thought the truck was really clean for the mileage and that's what attracted me to it. Now, I guess I will just Install new rockers and do studs while I'm there

whtdmax

Reaction score
No, it was from an individual sadly. So, I'm stick with it...at times, I wish I would have just waited and got a 6.7. I can build this one cheaper tho for sure!! It's still the principal of course

uncool

Reaction score
First question.

Why are the rockers "wearing out"?

I just drove home a completely stock 246,000 mile 7.3 that will roast the tires.....

And you wonder why I have not ventured to any of the "other" motors FORD has offered.......

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
because you don't want to spend the money...

we all have different priorities. I like having a lot of power and a lot of comfort.

others are good with a completely stock 246,000 mile 7.3

uncool

Reaction score
You mean bells and whistles....

I know how to spend money wisely. I don't need to buy a new truck every two years.

Still did not answer the question.....why are 6.4 rockers wearing out at such a rapid pace that they need to be shimmed or replaced???

And yes, I am good with a completely stock 246,000 mile 7.3, along with my 136,000 mile 00.

because you don't want to spend the money...

we all have different priorities. I like having a lot of power and a lot of comfort.

others are good with a completely stock 246,000 mile 7.3

swinky

Reaction score

I know how to spend money wisely. I don't need to buy a new truck every two years.

Still did not answer the question.....why are 6.4 rockers wearing out at such a rapid pace that they need to be shimmed or replaced???

And yes, I am good with a completely stock 246,000 mile 7.3, along with my 136,000 mile 00.
Want a cookie?

It's oil related. The 6.0s don't have the same issue but I'm sure there's 6.4s running around with over 300k on stock rockers.

Last edited:

drunk on diesel

Reaction score
I mean comfort. I assure you a 6.4 is much quieter and better riding/driving than a leaf sprung 7.3... comfort...

yeah, 275hp doesn't really blow my skirt up

like I said, everybody has their own priorities...

sootie

Reaction score
rocker arms wear due to inadequate oiling. couple that with fuel dilution on 6.4s with emissions equipment intact so the little oil that gets squirted on the rockers lacks lubricity...

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score

You got to know what your looking at, the rocker isn't worn. The pushrod was bent, so to take up the difference in length from the now shorter pushrod ( due to being bent / bowed ) the previous owner opted to shim it instead of buying a new $5.00 pushrod.

SEABEE08FX4

Reaction score
For what its worth mines got over 228K on it on the original rockers, and I'll reiterate most of the problems you will see are operator caused. People think they can slap on a tuner, intake and exhaust and have a 500-600 truck that's indestructible and they beat on it from every light, don't change the oil, fuel filters, drain the water separator or do any general maintenance at all on time or at all. Lack any and all common sense and when the truck finally breaks something its all the sudden a huge pile of sh!t, I can't tell you how many trucks have come in here that are broke down due to abuse and neglect.

Latest posts

Members online