rocker arm lubrication

silver6four

Reaction score
as i am writing this i am going to start with saying that i most likely dont know what im talking about and that it is probably not possible and im sure you guys will be thinking and saying ..man this guy is stupid... im fine with that just so you know..i agree with you.. with all the rocker arm problems in our 6.4s, and this is mostly due to lack of lubrication.. what about the idea of putting a "T" in an oil feed line and tap into the vavle cover to add extra oil on both sides?? yes it would rob oil from whatever oil line you tapped into and thats a problem..and yes what oil line?? as i started,ya i know stupid... BUT?????

DEEZUZ

NO PUKESTERS
Reaction score
The 6.7s have this. And I believe old Ford motors had oiling tubes....

I believe the updated rocker arms have a oiling hole drilled in them

Rubenk

Reaction score
The problem I see is that it would take a fair bit of R&D to get the proper amount of lubrication without overdoing it.

Possible? Sure. They do stuff like this in custom engine builds all the time, but they do the necessary homework to get it right.

powerstroked08

Reaction score
The dirt late model motors are like this now. They have an oil rail built into the valve cover that sprays the rockers. Its a great idea in my opinion.

UNLIMITED_DIESEL

Reaction score
I don't think it's as much an issue with oil not getting to the rockers, as it is with the oil that you're using and possible fuel dilution of you are trying to extend oil drains and run a *** at the same time.

FWIW, most of the rockers we replace are from engines that are running EGR/*** and going 10,000 miles without changing the oil. The new rocker tips I believe are coated with a DLC coating to help reduce the wear of the original design.

I'm not sure what other people are seeing, just my $0.02

silver6four

Reaction score
From what i have read, I thought they all have the hole drilled for oiling purpose..???
I completely agree that the r&d would be costly and alot of trial and error..thought maybe other people have already done this in some sort of way.. i knew i wasnt the only person to think of such a thing..

powerstroked08... this type of idea is along the same thing i was thinking.. it would be sweet!!!.....
leading up to buying my truck and there after all the research i did gave me the cozy feeling that if i ******d everything that id be good.. so everything your saying would be correct.. but from what i have been reading lately this is not the case..a lot of guys that are ******d and have been for a long while are having the rocker arm failure including me.. ive been ******d since 27,000 and at 71000 and having the problem... i change at 65-7500 miles and have always used the ford oil...have never really towed anything..bobcat once... dailydrive maybe once twice a week..always on stock hot dam... yes ive run it hard but could probably count them on 2 hands.. will be putting new rocker arm assemblies here within the next few weeks...

co04cobra

Reaction score
I don't think it's as much an issue with oil not getting to the rockers, as it is with the oil that you're using and possible fuel dilution of you are trying to extend oil drains and run a *** at the same time.

FWIW, most of the rockers we replace are from engines that are running EGR/*** and going 10,000 miles without changing the oil. The new rocker tips I believe are coated with a DLC coating to help reduce the wear of the original design.

I'm not sure what other people are seeing, just my $0.02

I haven't worked on as many of 6.4s as some, but I agree with this 100%. I think there is room for improvements on the way they are lubricated.

However, if you could get guys to quit running the cheapest oil and cheapest filters they can find, for 10K+ miles it would for sure help. That's just my .02

From what i have read, I thought they all have the hole drilled for oiling purpose..???
I completely agree that the r&d would be costly and alot of trial and error..thought maybe other people have already done this in some sort of way.. i knew i wasnt the only person to think of such a thing..

powerstroked08... this type of idea is along the same thing i was thinking.. it would be sweet!!!.....
leading up to buying my truck and there after all the research i did gave me the cozy feeling that if i ******d everything that id be good.. so everything your saying would be correct.. but from what i have been reading lately this is not the case..a lot of guys that are ******d and have been for a long while are having the rocker arm failure including me.. ive been ******d since 27,000 and at 71000 and having the problem... i change at 65-7500 miles and have always used the ford oil...have never really towed anything..bobcat once... dailydrive maybe once twice a week..always on stock hot dam... yes ive run it hard but could probably count them on 2 hands.. will be putting new rocker arm assemblies here within the next few weeks...

JMO again, personally I would not run oil change intervals that long. I like to stick to 5K intervals WITH synthetic. Conventional every 3-4K. Maybe it's overkill but easier then doing rocker arms and/or lifters.

Powerstroke Man 6.4

Reaction score
]
I haven't worked on as many of 6.4s as some, but I agree with this 100%. I think there is room for improvements on the way they are lubricated.

However, if you could get guys to quit running the cheapest oil and cheapest filters they can find, for 10K+ miles it would for sure help. That's just my .02

JMO again, personally I would not run oil change intervals that long. I like to stick to 5K intervals WITH synthetic. Conventional every 3-4K. Maybe it's overkill but easier then doing rocker arms and/or lifters.

Agree with this 100%^

Latest posts

Members online