Rocker arms and dry lubricant coating

kdsf350

Reaction score
Will be doing some preventive maintenance replacing the rockers. Question is would it be worth the money to have the rocker arms coated with a dry lubricant. I was thinking this might help to reduce wear plus increase longevity. Anybody with knowledge about this please chime in. Plus any good places to get this done would be helpful.

Short definition:
Lubricity or antifriction coatings consist primarily of dry-film or solid-film lubricants that reduce friction, galling, and seizing. In some instances, this category can also help disperse heat.

Old article about it. I'm sure the coatings have improved over the years!
Read more: http://www.hotrod.com/techarticles/engine/hrdp_0612_engine_coatings/viewall.html#ixzz2V7mKj5XH

Stroked777

Reaction score
Subbed, I'm interested in this too When I had the motor work done my motor was full of sludge( previous owners). And the wear buttons on the rocker arms were almost worn to the steel, so I be interested in this too when I replace mine

kyle43335

In the Brig (Banned)
Reaction score
rocker wear is caused by the insanely high oil temps from when the trucks are in regen.

it fries the oil to a nice useless state. dry lube isnt really going to help much. reason being is i dont see how your going to get it into the rocker tip fulcrum.

once the truck is deleted i would change the rockers, and from that point the excessive wear should stop.

Stroked777

Reaction score
rocker wear is caused by the insanely high oil temps from when the trucks are in regen.

it fries the oil to a nice useless state. dry lube isnt really going to help much. reason being is i dont see how your going to get it into the rocker tip fulcrum.

once the truck is deleted i would change the rockers, and from that point the excessive wear should stop.

my truck had an unreal amount of sludge under the vavle covers and like you said it almost looked dry but with like a gel, it was just bad haha
soon as i get some money and time im going to do the rocker arms

kdsf350

Reaction score

Ok, I was just curious about this coating because it gets impregnated into the metal for better lubericity. I found a place near by, I will call to see if they can coat the fulcrum point. If not oh well just an idea I had because been hearing 6.4 rocker arms are starting to fail due to wear and the plastic cilp breaking dislodging the rocker.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.