Rough idle/running once truck hits temp

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
So I was talking with a guy today about his 6.0 and I'm not really up to speed on them like I would be if I had one so I'm asking the experts!

Short version, the guy told me every time his trucks comes up to temperature it will stutter, lack of power, idle jumping around. It'll do that for between 7-10 mins and boom, right back to normal. After it happens he can drive 5mins or 5hrs and it won't happen again. Stop and let it cool down, take off again... It happens again.

Any Idea where to start on this? Supposedly no codes...

Thoughts? I'll dig up more info but not even sure where to start. Odd to me that it's temperature related, and will run fine once it works through it.

ascrap2003

Reaction score
I'm still new to 6.0 engines I usually work on my 7.3 which I've done a lot of work to and after 2 years it runs perfect based on the little I know and have learned

When hot and missing it's usually oil pressure related such as hpo leak or injector issue

When cold and rough usually injector related

But being what you are saying usually happens when hot can run good for hours or minutes sounds intermittent
That leans me to a mechanical or electrical issue with either injectors, injector harnesses and or sensor ipr or icp related could also be something overheating maybe ficm? I don't know just my 2 cents but sure enough someone with more knowledge will come along and give a valid answer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reaction score
So I was talking with a guy today about his 6.0 and I'm not really up to speed on them like I would be if I had one so I'm asking the experts!

Short version, the guy told me every time his trucks comes up to temperature it will stutter, lack of power, idle jumping around. It'll do that for between 7-10 mins and boom, right back to normal. After it happens he can drive 5mins or 5hrs and it won't happen again. Stop and let it cool down, take off again... It happens again.

Any Idea where to start on this? Supposedly no codes...

Thoughts? I'll dig up more info but not even sure where to start. Odd to me that it's temperature related, and will run fine once it works through it.

It needs to watched with an IDS to find which injector is dropping out.

ascrap2003

Reaction score
+1 on that IDS at least a a/e but so far I've heard that ids is the way to go on 6.0

ascrap2003

Reaction score
injectors either run bad cold, hot or both

What you need to find out is when it's doing it exactly is it a set temp or time or is it intermittent?

Intermittent would lead me to think maybe a injector connector/electrical connection or something similar that can fail in a intermittent pattern.

I'm still new to 6.0 my self I would do a search in the forums try all 3 big powerstroke forums org, army & nation then look up Diesel tech Ron on YouTube. #RIP RON he can help you with his videos.

LovinPSDs

Reaction score
He explained it as the truck gets up to temp (not sure on specific temp)... Runs like crap for 7 mins and then runs perfect for the rest of the trip no matter how long it is... 5 mins, 5hrs

Latest posts

Members online