rough idle & shutting down

05wh250

Reaction score
Alright guys my grandpa has a 96 with 154,XXX on it with a superchip. Its idling rough, as in it will lope for a few seconds then almost smooth completely out then go back to loping and just do this continually, he said it would shut down randomly when idling but start right back up. I pulled codes with the superchip and it had one for the cam position, one for the boost sensor and one for the ebp sensor. So I put a can position sensor from Napa in it Sunday and it idled and ran great. Then yesterday he called me and said it was right back to the same thing, so I scanned it today and the only code it had was one for the ebp sensor. Did I get a bad sensor? And where is the ebp sensor located?

Reaction score
You might try a CPS from Ford or International. There have been many cases of aftermarket CPSs being bad right out of the box. The EBP sensor is located almost on top of the HPOP Reservoir, passenger side. There will be a tube running from it down to the passenger side exhaust manifold. Sometimes the tube gets clogged with soot. It removes fairly easily and can be cleaned with carb cleaner and some wire rope chucked in a variable speed drill (like a plumbing snake). You could try unplugging the EBP sensor to see if it stops the lope cycling. You might also try removing the chip and see if it stops it. Cheers!

05wh250

Reaction score
You might try a CPS from Ford or International. There have been many cases of aftermarket CPSs being bad right out of the box. The EBP sensor is located almost on top of the HPOP Reservoir, passenger side. There will be a tube running from it down to the passenger side exhaust manifold. Sometimes the tube gets clogged with soot. It removes fairly easily and can be cleaned with carb cleaner and some wire rope chucked in a variable speed drill (like a plumbing snake). You could try unplugging the EBP sensor to see if it stops the lope cycling. You might also try removing the chip and see if it stops it. Cheers!

Alright thanks I'll try those and report back.

ghohouston

Reaction score
Try unplugging the icp sensor if the above advice doesnt work. See if it has oil in the connector. Wouldnt hurt to clean his fpr screen either. And always xould be injectors, but like stated, get a ford/ international

05wh250

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice guys the cps from ford fixed it. As for everything else that was suggested i m going to get the truck in about 2 months for a couple weeks to fix the oil leak in the valley, so I'll catch all that at the Same time.

Latest posts

Members online