Round 2 of a mild ZF6 build

B585Ford

Reaction score
Per Powerstroked08’s request, I decided to post a little about Round 2 of my build. Compared to most of you on here, this aint much and that is why I didn't post anything before….but if nothing else, since there are so few of us ZF6 guys around, I guess it will give us something to look at.

My goal has always been to make RELIABLE, quick spooling, streetable power within my budget. My truck will never see the track (although I do have to brag that my last ¼ mile was 24 flat). It may see a dyno every now and then, and it won’t even see a sled pull cause breaking sh#t isn’t in my budget right now.

Staying true to my motto of never wasting a cab off opportunity to upgrade, I made a few changes when my HPFP finally gave out. Holder’s did all the work. They were great throughout this entire process and I really appreciated all of their patience with difficulties we ran in to (I’ll get to that in a minute). While I had the cab off, figured I would get the WG installed that I had bought NIB from another member on here which had been sitting in my garage for over a year. Then I figured I would add a LP system (I ended up going with Marty’s) with a fuel bowl delete (unregulated return), and swap my 71 for a JHP. As anyone with a hand shaker knows, spool up is everything, so at the last minute, I decided to add 15% nozzles. I also want to thank JD and Marty for getting me the JHP and LP system in less than 2 weeks. Both products have been flawless to date.

As some of you already know, we ran into quite a bit of problems with this round. First, I had bought the Elite pre-welded DP with the gate….turns it out the DP doesn’t fit with the larger bell housing of the ZF. After we got that worked out, the problems really began…after getting everything back together with the “new” HPFP, my truck wouldn’t run. After a little checking, Rykan was sure the “new” HPFP was bad so he pulled the cab and replaced it. The second HPFP would allow the truck to run, but the LP system had to be turned up to 20 PSI to get it to idle and it would only build around 11k RP. After doing a lot of checking and re-checking, Rykan thought the second HPFP had to be bad too so he pulled the cab again and replaced it. The third HPFP did the same thing as the second so we thought there must be another problem. It would take a year to type all the testing Rykan did (also thanks Morgan for your input), but nothing else seemed to be wrong. Finally, after not finding anything else, they pulled the cab again and installed a 4th HPFP. Evidently the 4th time is a charm cause it has ran great since. I also gotta give Rykan credit, even with the all HPFPs that were not working right when he got them new (which obviously wasn’t his fault) and with all the testing he did to try to find the “other” problem (which turned out it didn’t exist), he never charged me 1 penny over his original estimate. Had he charged me for all of the labor, I would have been looking at least another $4-5k in labor…..I think it is safe to say, that was EXTREMELY generous of him!!!

I know I still have some weak links even with this mild build….valvetrain (which is completely stock and the original), pistons (just couldn’t afford them this round), and that F#KIN reman HPFP. I am hoping this setup can last me a while so that I can save up funds for the final round.

I have put about 1500 miles on it since I got it back and I can say it has exceeded my every expectation!!! I am super pleased with the way it turned out. This thing spools faster than stock and faster than my old setup. It also makes quite a good more power than before (if anyone wants to know my previous mods, just let me know). With GH's tune, it is basically smoke free. Finally, when I am cruising, my EGTs are even lower than before (and this truck has always ran cool). For example, on flat ground cruising at 55MPH in 85 degree heat, my EGTs are below 500. I have a few vids of temps, boost, EBP and RP if anyone wants to see them.

Last edited:

Stroked777

Reaction score
Awesome write up. That a ****ty string of luck with the hpfps. Can't wait to see what else you add the truck, what will be next

CAT35niner

Reaction score
Nice write up bud. Hopefully you have better luck with future mods. Pretty horrible to have three pumps bad in a row. Glad it's running great tho now.

RSK

Reaction score
awesome to hear it's running how it should. I bet that turbo sounds nasty outside the truck when its spooling up, any vids of that?

B585Ford

Reaction score
Awesome write up. That a ****ty string of luck with the hpfps. Can't wait to see what else you add the truck, what will be next

Thanks. It is easy to look back now and say it was another a bad HPFP but while it was going on, it seemed like there had to be something else....lessons learned.

I hope to someday address all the weak links, a cam, and have duals with 30% or 50% and either High Powers or Garretts (Morgan's add a turbo). I am going to run this setup until something breaks and hopefully have enough funds finish what I started!!!

B585Ford

Reaction score
Nice write up bud. Hopefully you have better luck with future mods. Pretty horrible to have three pumps bad in a row. Glad it's running great tho now.

Thanks. When I did he first round, everything went so smooth...studs, ported intake, exh manny, and 71 (Holder's did that too). I had the truck back within a week...guess I gotta little spoiled.

B585Ford

Reaction score
awesome to hear it's running how it should. I bet that turbo sounds nasty outside the truck when its spooling up, any vids of that?

Sorry guys, I ain't good at that Multi quote thing. I can hear a slight whistle in the cab but I don't appreciate a whole lot of difference in tone. Granted when I was young and bulletproof I had a little too much exposure to guns and equipment so I don't hear the best. I have never done a vid for sound, but I will get one for ya.

B585Ford

Reaction score
Bad string of luck for sure lol glad it's running well now. The last pump that we got the one working now I got from a different part of the country.

It seems to be fine but when the cab comes off again, a NEW (if I can find one) HPFP will be replacing it.

Diesel23

Reaction score
awesome , glad to know your a happy camper !!! hopefully you have plenty of time to save before you'll have to doing anything else, sounds like a beast !! great work man

B585Ford

Reaction score
awesome , glad to know your a happy camper !!! hopefully you have plenty of time to save before you'll have to doing anything else, sounds like a beast !! great work man

Thanks Frank. I am really lovin this setup.

B585Ford

Reaction score

Tried to do a vid tonight but the damn phone was out of memory. I will get a better one when I get time. This was started at 40 MPH in 3rd from no boost to WOT. This got cut off right when I shifted to 4th at 3100 RPM. Vid is crappy but you can hear it a little.

http://youtu.be/7GIuCXhIC2U

Here's another crappy vid.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTC2Y3Tp0kw

CAT35niner

Reaction score
Aww yes trying to take videos in a stick by yourself. Been there it sucks lol. Pulls strong in the videos tho. Very nice man.

B585Ford

Reaction score
Aww yes trying to take videos in a stick by yourself. Been there it sucks lol. Pulls strong in the videos tho. Very nice man.

Yeah, definitely tricky. I imagine as hard as your truck would pull, the whole vid would be 1/2 sec of giving the gas, then shift, 3/4 second of gas, then shift.....

CAT35niner

Reaction score
Yeah, definitely tricky. I imagine as hard as your truck would pull, the whole vid would be 1/2 sec of giving the gas, then shift, 3/4 second of gas, then shift.....

Lol one reason why I don't take the videos. To much going on in the cab. Those turbos clean up the fuel pretty well. I miss my vgt kinda now haha.

powerstroked08

Reaction score
Well lookie here b585's build thread!LOL Sounds like a nightmare with those hpfp's. I'm glad you got the girl up and running. Have you hauled anything with it yet? And hows the radiator situation going? LOL Its nice to see some more builds/results for the 6 speed guys. And you and I are in the same boat with the prewelded dp! The one I welded fits but hits the cab. Now the prewelded one I now have won't f**king fit to save my a$$. Frusterating to say the least. What kind of boost are you seeing? And I assume you have the gate set to 65ish. I hope it runs for a long time trouble free! And I can't wait for round 3:naughty:

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.