RSK issue with lift springs

97BambiBasherPSD

Reaction score
I'm using a PMF RSK kit with procomp SD lift springs. Well I go to put them in and the axle is shoved forward 1" and the shackle angle sucks! Measured the springs and they are 2" shorter than a factory spring. No idea if that's just cause they are a lift spring or not. I need to talk to Trevor and see if I installed the kit right. We tried flipping the springs around everything. Need some help!

0dd47be85938f8ecf137ba81dd38c6f8.jpg
e6f68f625b4ec835458e19566ab2360f.jpg
5065809d4e6f360fe86b94327dffac6b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

m_j

Reaction score
obviously those springs wont work. you would also benefit from a longer shackle with an arched spring.

Diesel_Brad

Reaction score
Here is the problem.

Stupid Dutys are Fat Pigs

On Average they weigh 1000lbs more than the equivalent OBS.

That is why one of the best SD springs for an OBS is the U or D codes since they are a softer spring

So you OBS does Not weight enough to squish the lift springs. Especially if you got them for a diesel truck. And with all the sheet metal missing off your truck, that doesnt help matter either.

Then after all that you will need to drive the truck to get the springs to settle in

97BambiBasherPSD

Reaction score
So brad your saying that once my ranch hand bumper and sheet metal are back on it should give me the correct alignment? I wanted lift springs on top of the 4.5 from the RSK. The 2" shorter leaf spring doesn't make a difference?

Diesel_Brad

Reaction score
So brad your saying that once my ranch hand bumper and sheet metal are back on it should give me the correct alignment? I wanted lift springs on top of the 4.5 from the RSK. The 2" shorter leaf spring doesn't make a difference?

it is shorter because it is arched. Once you get some weight on it, it will flatten out and get longer......

but honestly, I still would of gotten gas lift springs

97BambiBasherPSD

Reaction score
Alright well I'll have to look into them then. Summit is pretty good about returning and getting the correct stuff

97BambiBasherPSD

Reaction score
Just checked summit. The springs are procomp 22410s. It says for a 5.4-7.3 engine. 5.4s sit higher than a 7.3 with these springs.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
If you measure the length of the spring, you need to go from eye to eye, and the tape measure has to follow the arch. If you did it that way and it's still 2" shorter, it can't be the correct spring, or the rsk kit requires a specific spring. Regardless of any of that, a couple hundred more pounds will not fix your shackle issue. The only time it's acceptable for your shackle to look like that is at full extension. At this point you will have no downward suspension travel and quite honestly I'd be afraid to drive it. The shackle could go either way. (Towards or away from the frame) Are you 100% certain your front brackets are in the correct spot? And hopefully you added some more bolts.

97BambiBasherPSD

Reaction score
If you measure the length of the spring, you need to go from eye to eye, and the tape measure has to follow the arch. If you did it that way and it's still 2" shorter, it can't be the correct spring, or the rsk kit requires a specific spring. Regardless of any of that, a couple hundred more pounds will not fix your shackle issue. The only time it's acceptable for your shackle to look like that is at full extension. At this point you will have no downward suspension travel and quite honestly I'd be afraid to drive it. The shackle could go either way. (Towards or away from the frame) are you 100%certain your front brackets are in the correct spot? and hopefully you added some more bolts.

It's still in the mock up stages. I aligned it right to the holes that lined up in the frame. I'll have to recheck but we followed the arch of the spring and measured it. Maybe the kit isn't made for a lift spring, Just stock springs.

Diesel_Brad

Reaction score
Here is a pic of my truck(460 gas) with 4" Superlift OBS front springs w 2 leafs removed and ORUs 2.5" RSK, 6" Skyjacker OBS rear springs w fitted add-a-leaf. If you notice the shackle is almost perfectly vertical
DSC00107.jpg

Same truck but with PMFs 2.25" RSK and U codes and B codes
Shake is pretty much in the same vertical position(kind hard to see but it is)
15377_10200280797051351_1990492807_n_zps3548c77d.jpg

mikeeg02

Reaction score
Is there any room to move your front hangar rearward? The front axle will move rear slightly when you put weight on it, because of the arch, but that shackle angle just wont work. Especially if the weight is on the axle like it looks in your pictures right now. Have you tried moving the shackle with a pry bar?

There's always the slight chance the bushing on the shackle is compressed so much that it wont allow it to swing rearward. Maybe loosen that bolt so the shackle can swing, and see if it will settle into place, allowing the spring to extend (moving your axle rearward) and lowering the front some. Other than that, for that spring to work, you'll need to move the hangars.

97BambiBasherPSD

Reaction score
The reason for that is we wanted to make sure it wasn't a direction issue with the springs. The shackle angle never changed either way

97BambiBasherPSD

Reaction score
There are only bolts in there. Nothing is tightened down. I can try the pry bar but I have a feeling it won't change.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
The reason for that is we wanted to make sure it wasn't a direction issue with the springs. The shackle angle never changed either way

The shackle angle wouldn't change by reversing the springs, the spring length is the same. The only difference could be axle location, if the leaf spring pin is not centered.

There are only bolts in there. Nothing is tightened down. I can try the pry bar but I have a feeling it won't change.

If everything is loose, then your going to have to move the brackets. You can try putting your HD bumper on and seeing if it will settle some, and maybe a little more to simulate sheetmetal, but I think your hangars are going to have to move.

mikeeg02

Reaction score
The link gnxtc2 provided shows that there is almost a 1" (5/8" to be exact) difference between the forward eye and the center pin, and the rearward eye and the center pin. Did you measure what they are on your set?

It says one eye to center pin 27 1/2", center pin to the other is 28 1/8". ~55 5/8" long. What are your measurements? Dont forget to have the tape follow the leaf spring.

I couldnt find specs on the pro comps.

Latest posts

Members online