Rudy's first Tow Power-X/stock fuel build

BOSS450

Reaction score
agreed. but i feel like that truck could be a dream with a custom tune.
No smoke nontouchy tune with rediculous power

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
I have found on my truck that xrace smokes the least. You might give that a shot. Also be sure to.select aftermarket turbos

Sent from my DROIDX

Aaron was telling me the same thing. I'll have to get his to square me away when I get back up there. Not sure what that setup is going for, but I am going to try them all until I find what is right for me.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
Was there a noticeable difference going from the stock 3.73? gears to the 4.10 towing? Did you get to try it before you upgraded the motor? Trying to decide between 410 or 430 myself.

Spatel23

Reaction score
I had the 4.30s with 37 inch tires and I can tell you from my expereince that i really didnt care for them at all.
If anything Id go with 4.10s but I REALLY dont think its needed with the tire size you are running. I think you may have buyers remorse after feeling the difference in the truck and your wallet. Just my opinion

Ipkyss

Reaction score
I was very happy with my old truck with 4.10 gears and 33s. It pulled better with less power than my current truck. I tow between 10 and 17k very offen. I put on at least double the miles towing than i do un loaded. I do my own gear work, so its mainly only time. Only going to do the rear and see how i like it. If its good. Then I will do the front. I am leaning toward 410 right now. Just not sure if its enough to be worth it...

WoodBoy

Reaction score
Im pretty sure Corbin had 3.55s being a 2010. I may be wrong, but im sure he noticed a pretty good difference.

SSpeeDEMONSS

Reaction score
I was very happy with my old truck with 4.10 gears and 33s. It pulled better with less power than my current truck. I tow between 10 and 17k very offen. I put on at least double the miles towing than i do un loaded. I do my own gear work, so its mainly only time. Only going to do the rear and see how i like it. If its good. Then I will do the front. I am leaning toward 410 right now. Just not sure if its enough to be worth it...

I know it's kinda apples to oranges but I liked the 4.10s and 33s on my dodge when it was pulling something. Cruised right at the sweet spot where if I needed it that 1000lb-ft was right there. Though it did need another OD for when it was empty.

Garrett

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
Yeah, I have the 2010, and it was 3.55:1. Switching tires from 34.1 inch, to 35.5 inch wasn't a big leap, but the width went from 275 to 325, and that is a lot of weight difference. And I pull a lot. So I def wanted some more gear, and wasn't going to spend all that money, just to go from 3.55 to 3.73. With my speedo properly adjusted, my rpms went up about 300 RPMs at 70mph, so it wasn't terrible, but I def saw the mileage drop a few. Now I am getting 16-17 ish at 70 on the interstate, unloaded. But, this thing gets out of the hole so damn violently now! lol! If I boost up over 15 on a launch, all 4 will roll pretty nicely! lol!

The biggest problem that I had, was that the new gears weren't like the factory ones to install... they needed .130 worth of shims just to start! The shop that originally installed them (and screwed them up bad) didn't understand that, and let me take it with only .100 in there. So Aaron's crew set me up right. Again.

tbsimmons

Reaction score
I can tell you with a 245/70/19.5 and 4.88's it sucks being unloaded. Loaded the thing is a beast. My brother had a 405 with 4.30's and I think they are a better gear for all around.
When I had my 04 I had 4.56's with 35's and it helped a lot with towing. Unloaded I took a hit but made up for it pulling. I think 4.10's would be a great gear in a smaller tire SRW. Much easier on the tranny. The thing I would I would check before jumping in is what RPM you want to cruise at towing if that is what you do most of the time.
In CA the speedlimit for towing is 55. I usually drive 60-62 so I am right at the torque curve. Towing a trailer with these trucks and being right at or just above 2000 cruising, at least in mine, is the sweet spot. Just grunts over stuff and doenst down shift unless the hill is pretty steep.

Ipkyss

Reaction score
I think the sweet spot is 2150. That's what I was shooting for at 70. Right now the sweet spot is at 80. At 80 the truck will pull 16k up and over anything without even thinking about slowing down. I have a f-450 with 245s and 4.88 gears. With a stock 6.0 it pulls anything with ease. I think the happy medium is going to be 4.10. So we will see how it goes.

Back on topic I guess..

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
I can tell you with a 245/70/19.5 and 4.88's it sucks being unloaded. Loaded the thing is a beast. My brother had a 405 with 4.30's and I think they are a better gear for all around.
When I had my 04 I had 4.56's with 35's and it helped a lot with towing. Unloaded I took a hit but made up for it pulling. I think 4.10's would be a great gear in a smaller tire SRW. Much easier on the tranny. The thing I would I would check before jumping in is what RPM you want to cruise at towing if that is what you do most of the time.
In CA the speedlimit for towing is 55. I usually drive 60-62 so I am right at the torque curve. Towing a trailer with these trucks and being right at or just above 2000 cruising, at least in mine, is the sweet spot. Just grunts over stuff and doenst down shift unless the hill is pretty steep.

Yeah mine is 2200 at 70, so I cruise control the highway trips at 70. But I tow about 65. That keeps me right at 2,000. No down shifting unless I am on a very steep run, with a lot of weight.

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
The switch to SCT was a good one. WAAAAAAY less smoke. and a 300 degree drop in EGTs. The X race tune, is a bit touchy, but it is a total animal! The dyno says one thing, but, the street suggests another.... still no track time though.....

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
The switch to SCT was a good one. WAAAAAAY less smoke. and a 300 degree drop in EGTs. The X race tune, is a bit touchy, but it is a total animal! The dyno says one thing, but, the street suggests another.... still no track time though.....

tru dat brutha !

Corb@CorbinShipping

Reaction score
Let me know how it tows with that tuning.

I just pulled into Florida last night. Besides the rain and howling wind, which made the ride suck, it towed great. More than enough power, never made it over 1150 EGTs pulling almost 16000. Granted, not a lot of big hills, but the H&S on the same route, was making 1450 a few times. And was a smoky biotch. This was nice and clean, and still had plenty of power.

Latest posts

Members online