Running board lights

TexAg56

Reaction score
So I took off the stock lighted running boards. I really want to hook up a LED light bar to the factory plug that went to each running board. Right now the plugs are just hanging there and seems like you could just hook the lights up to them. That way when you open the doors the entire ground will be lit up! Im thinking you wont need to hook up a fuse or anything since there should already be one for the factory lights. Has anyone done anything like this?

morefuel

Reaction score
I bought a led strip of ebay and used it. I stuck it to the body under the door. If i did it again i would stick it to a strip of angle iron behind the lip where the running boards mount. Its actually enough light to see, unlike what the factory running boards have that i've seen.

Tom@BigTimeKustomz

Reaction score
You could go with a small lights bar mounted behind the pinch weld which would give you a ton of light on either side. I'd go with a 10" bar mounted there. Pm me if you want some pricing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
The FORD OEM harness is like $14. I'm going to hook up some "rock lights" like the OP is describing. I've prepped by running the harness inside the body panels to tuck it away. Once I mock up the position of the lights for best usage I'll cut, splice/solder and final mount.

BunnyCop

Reaction score
plug.jpg

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
That connector is the one on the frame. If you want to keep it as a quick disconnect you would need the male end. Otherwise cut and splice your own disconnect.

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
Are you talking the end that is on the board ends for the bulbs?

There are three connections: one to the frame for a quick disconnect (male end), then the two that run to either end of the running boards that connect to the lamps (female end).

BUNNYCOP posted a pic of the end that feeds the lamps in the running boards.

HeavyAssault

Reaction score
Across all the different model years several have had the illuminated boards. For the current productions it seems as the KR trucks without the Chrome Package get the boards with lights.

I know in the 2008-2010 models the HD edition trucks had the same basic style.

MorganM

Reaction score
I believe the plugs changed somewhere in the 2011 MY, but the harness has included the plugs with or without the lit boards since 2008, if not before.
My truck isn't a KR and the wiring was all there.

Magnetic 2016 f250

Reaction score
I believe the plugs changed somewhere in the 2011 MY, but the harness has included the plugs with or without the lit boards since 2008, if not before.
My truck isn't a KR and the wiring was all there.
Where are the wires located? I don't have the lights on my steps, but I looked under there and was unable to find any thing. Not sure where to look.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.