Rust in Fuel pump???

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
So i changed my fuel pump a few months ago due to low pressure at WOT. Problem solved.
I kept the old pump and yesterday i took the water separator cap off to keep it and toss the rest of the pump. There was rust mud inside the cap with some old fuel.

I took the pump apart and cant find anything part if it capable of rusting. The drain plug was left in the pump for the few months it was in the garage.

So ? Is where did this rust come from? Is there anything inside the tank that can rust? New pump hasnt lost pressure at all in the 3-4 months its been on the truck.

Lassie

Reaction score
You sure it wasn't algae? When you pull the pump manifold off of these, you will almost always find orange/brown algae around the WIF sensor, and it often causes a WIF light that wont clear. I've seen it in filter caps too.

Lassie

Reaction score
Also, you can buy just the pump/motor and save some coin. Don't have to buy entire assembly. Little late now, but maybe will help someone else.

jdc753

Reaction score
You sure it wasn't algae? When you pull the pump manifold off of these, you will almost always find orange/brown algae around the WIF sensor, and it often causes a WIF light that wont clear. I've seen it in filter caps too.

Did mine years ago and found the same thing

DSC03514.jpg

I had just assumed it was from the water that separated out leaving behind some mineral content.

Trqmnstr

Reaction score
Cool
I guess i jumped the gun assuming it was rust, looked just like the pic you posted and also was in the cap.
I cut the separator filter media apart and there wasn't any of the stuff inside it, just a little on the cap and end of filter.
Thanks guys.

Last edited:

Latest posts