S363sx-e

Bullet 21

Reaction score
I can handle that....heck I can handle anything after owning a 5" straight piped 6.7 Cummins! Man was that truck loud!

Minzbig

Reaction score
Mines going in tomorrow!! Hopefully everything goes as planned. I've got the mini max, canned tunes can I run it on those until Maryland sends me updated files?

bigrpowr

<How I Fly
Administrator
Reaction score
Mines going in tomorrow!! Hopefully everything goes as planned. I've got the mini max, canned tunes can I run it on those until Maryland sends me updated files?

negative . you'll need an mcc unlock and the custom tunes. let me know if i can help you out with the unlock !

Minzbig

Reaction score
Ok it's in.

On start up, it has a bit more diesel clack to it, I noticed in reverse it sounds like it is sitting in your dash with this strange rumble. It is dead quite, no even a light whistle out of it, the stock GT 32 had much more voice. I have about 20 miles on it so I hope it will self adjust but the Trans tune is sooo aggressive!! Every shift hits hard, not fun just driving it around and it doesn't want to shift into 6th gear even up to 65mph. I'm going to make a phone call tomorrow and see if it can be adjusted a bit....

It does have a lot more top end to the power band but we'll see how it does with a trailer at low speeds. I'm nervous at this point that it will require a lower gear all the time to keep it in a sweet spot for power.

So far im underwhelmed but im going to reserve final judgment until I talk to mpd and tow with it.....

Last edited:

doo dah

Reaction score
I have the Industrial kit and I have to tow in 5th gear with my TT, it is around 10k lbs. In the flats it will tow in 6th but I have to be going at least 75-80 for it to hold but that is likely more about having 37s with 3.55 gears. GH had the engine tune (SCT) pretty much nailed with absolutely no smoke but we couldn't get the transmission right so I switched to H&S MM. Been having issues with getting the tunes loaded to the tuner so I have been running canned H&S which as Mike said cause huge plumes of black smoke at anything under 2k rpm and above 3k rpm. I'm stock fuel and 5" exhaust with no muffler, if I take the cover off the S&B I can hear whistle inside the truck and from the outside it makes diesel owners look because it sounds soooo much different than a VGT truck. Good luck to you in finding all the right combinations to make the truck run like you want, it will take a good tuner to find the sweet spot for that non vgt. I'm still not feeling like it was $ well spent as the truck doesn't run much better than it did with just a hi sulphur tuner. I have around 3 months and 6-7k miles on the set up at this point.

Codydiesel

Reaction score
All I can say is you don't want your truck to shift into 6th before 65 because then you will be under the turbo and usually clouding out the road. I know my trans has a firm shifts all the time it's probably the reason it has lasted so long with abuse . I had a adaptive trans time before and had it freak out and soft shift into 4th causing trans damage. Had to replace the solenoid pack because of the soft shift. Once you get the tunes dialed in so the turbo is always in its happy zone you will love it. I know when I had a 363 it had stock like spool and always responded well with the tunes I had. Hope everything gets figured out so you can enjoy your truck.

Bullet 21

Reaction score
Ok it's in.

On start up, it has a bit more diesel clack to it, I noticed in reverse it sounds like it is sitting in your dash with this strange rumble. It is dead quite, no even a light whistle out of it, the stock GT 32 had much more voice. I have about 20 miles on it so I hope it will self adjust but the Trans tune is sooo aggressive!! Every shift hits hard, not fun just driving it around and it doesn't want to shift into 6th gear even up to 65mph. I'm going to make a phone call tomorrow and see if it can be adjusted a bit....

It does have a lot more top end to the power band but we'll see how it does with a trailer at low speeds. I'm nervous at this point that it will require a lower gear all the time to keep it in a sweet spot for power.

So far im underwhelmed but im going to reserve final judgment until I talk to mpd and tow with it.....

Did you get your new MDP tunes or are you running the H&S tunes? It sounds like you have a few tuning issues?

Minzbig

Reaction score
Did you get your new MDP tunes or are you running the H&S tunes? It sounds like you have a few tuning issues?

Yes, I had an updated file at startup to compensate for the new turbo. Truck runs good, no dash lights ect. Kit went in well fit and finish was great was a bit thrown off by one of the boots but a quick phone call and we ended up just trimming it shorter. We were shorted a hose clamp (no big deal)

In regards to my initial impression of the Trans tune...
Nope, after having a somewhat combative conversation with them this morning I was told to drive it, the Trans will learn my driving habits they have x amount of these kits out there and my observation was not in line with anyone else... Then I was told that the 6r can't handle the strain of being in 6th gear that's why they have basically tuned it out as it doesn't need it anyway. I'm becoming less impressed with this kit. I'm getting the impression they are attempting to tune around the short falls of a non vgt kit and telling people stock like performance when it is anything but stock like if you can't used 6th gear.

I gave an employee a ride this morning and was embarrassed about the shifting and how poorly it spooled from a dig or a boosted launch. I couldn't even get it to build boost against the brake as it spewing black from the tail pipe. And don't expect much if you want to pass someone, it takes a good 2-3 count to get in the power. From there it really moves!!

If I'm jumping the gun so be it, but I expected more from the turbo kit and a slightly less arrogant attitude when I inquired about the kit/tune after sale. If you are looking for a hot rod kit... This maybe for you but I put a fair about of miles on daily and the road manners of this kit so far is just not there. I'm going to play along and be a good sport and do as I'm told.

Minzbig

Reaction score
Ok, so mpd (Kyle) reached out to me and was able to get me an updated trans tune.

First off, he sent me the email and probably 20 min later I had the change!! Very impressed!!

Second, what a difference!! Much happier with the way the truck acts. Even had a chance to tow my small tractor (4 series John Deere) tonight and it did just fine.

I'm going to drive it for a few day, kinda get used to it and see if the engine tune can be "tweaked" abit.

Thanks to those who have reached out via PM, your words of wisdom may come in handy!!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.