S369 on the 7.3 platform yet??

JDub

Reaction score
Not a 369, but am waiting on the SXE's to come in! Going to have a 364.5 SXE modded to a 68 turbine wheel with a 1.0 housing. Will be interested to see how the 369 does on larger injectors than my 160/30's.
No need to wait on an sx-e, that's been available for a while. Contact your preferred site sponsor that is a dealer for high tech turbo

Last edited:

PABowhunter

Reaction score
It doesnt really....its for people not interested in the turbine sides of 400 series bw turbos...spool faster

When I bought my turbo, the two main options for t4 kits were a 366 and a 468. Obviously two different animals with the turbine sides as you said. The 369 is interesting because it will spool quicker with the 300 series turbine, but I also believe it's rated to flow more lb/min than a 468. The 369 is rated at 97 lb/min vs 95 lb/min for the 468. Somebody correct me if that's wrong.

The main reason I ask about comparing it to a 468 is because the 468 seems to be the go to turbo for a hot street turbo matched with 200% nozzles. It sounds like the 369 will be a great hot street turbo with quicker spool but I'm assuming higher back pressure than a 468. I'm curious to see some firsthand experience.

As a side note, didn't bw make some changes to the 366 and add 6-7 lb/min of flow?

JDub

Reaction score
When I bought my turbo, the two main options for t4 kits were a 366 and a 468. Obviously two different animals with the turbine sides as you said. The 369 is interesting because it will spool quicker with the 300 series turbine, but I also believe it's rated to flow more lb/min than a 468. The 369 is rated at 97 lb/min vs 95 lb/min for the 468. Somebody correct me if that's wrong.

The main reason I ask about comparing it to a 468 is because the 468 seems to be the go to turbo for a hot street turbo matched with 200% nozzles. It sounds like the 369 will be a great hot street turbo with quicker spool but I'm assuming higher back pressure than a 468. I'm curious to see some firsthand experience.

As a side note, didn't bw make some changes to the 366 and add 6-7 lb/min of flow?
The changes to the 66 to improve flow are due mostly to the change in compressor cover design. The other thing to realize with the sx-e line is they longer will be putting the aggressive 20 - degree clip on the 73 turbine wheel thay the box s366 has. So the turbine wheel should allow for better low end performance than even the origional 366 has. What this does for boost and back pressure is unknown until we get a few on motors and driving.

I do know that early production 369's we received and shipped out a few weeks back are running great. Owners have been giving exciting feedback.

matt92idi

Reaction score
James Barder told me he sold a s369 to a guy running it on a 6.0 and was very happy with it. I don't know the specs of the truck but he said it was a great street turbo so I could only assume that the added displacement would make it very snappy.

Carolina444

Reaction score
I've been back and fourth on my turbo upgrade. I've been reading up on the basb, 468 and now wondering if this 369 would be a good option. Looking for the best turbo for daily driving, moderate towing and handle some track abuse.. I currently running 230/100 but thinking about adding 200 nozzles to them

TyCorr

Reaction score
I like the progress and all yhe thinking outside the box but for just a single on a street truck, my 38r is going nowhere. Its spools and makes boost where it needs to be on a street truck.

matt92idi

Reaction score
I've been back and fourth on my turbo upgrade. I've been reading up on the basb, 468 and now wondering if this 369 would be a good option. Looking for the best turbo for daily driving, moderate towing and handle some track abuse.. I currently running 230/100 but thinking about adding 200 nozzles to them

Ive looked into the basb for my 6.0 but its just too top secret for me. Everyone who has one says they love it but the fact that its making more boost at a lower rpm makes me worry about back pressure. Plus i don't think it would flow nearly what the s369 is supposed to flow.

TyCorr

Reaction score
The basb is supposed to run lower backpressure due to secret squirrel turbine stuff.

Carolina444

Reaction score
Ive looked into the basb for my 6.0 but its just too top secret for me. Everyone who has one says they love it but the fact that its making more boost at a lower rpm makes me worry about back pressure. Plus i don't think it would flow nearly what the s369 is supposed to flow.

I've heard that back pressure on the basb is pretty low

lincolnlocker

Reaction score
I like the progress and all yhe thinking outside the box but for just a single on a street truck, my 38r is going nowhere. Its spools and makes boost where it needs to be on a street truck.
you would be stupid to get rid of it even in a compound setup.

live life full throttle

Swaan

Reaction score
Now everyone is hot balls on a 369 lmao
I've been sayin for years a efr9180 would be the hot ticket on a 7.3.
Same wheels on both sides, plus it's a ball bearing cartridge.
Not to mention the super light weight tubine wheel.

I guess the only thing stopping people is the $, as it's pricy for sure.

JDub

Reaction score
Now everyone is hot balls on a 369 lmao
I've been sayin for years a efr9180 would be the hot ticket on a 7.3.
Same wheels on both sides, plus it's a ball bearing cartridge.
Not to mention the super light weight tubine wheel.

I guess the only thing stopping people is the $, as it's pricy for sure.
Actually the efr has had durability issues on diesel applications. The gamma-ti turbine wheels won't support the extreme shaft speeds seen in high boost applications like a conventional s300 or s400 will.

Swaan

Reaction score
Actually the efr has had durability issues on diesel applications. The gamma-ti turbine wheels won't support the extreme shaft speeds seen in high boost applications like a conventional s300 or s400 will.

Yes ;I have heard the same thing.
I was told that it was the early released units that had a few fail.Its my understanding that problem has been fixed.
I'm close with the guys in the turbo shop at BD diesel here in town.ive been told they have had no issues with them now and they have sold lots.
I think everyone is just a little gun shy now .
I'd love to try one thou!!

JDub

Reaction score
Yes ;I have heard the same thing.
I was told that it was the early released units that had a few fail.Its my understanding that problem has been fixed.
I'm close with the guys in the turbo shop at BD diesel here in town.ive been told they have had no issues with them now and they have sold lots.
I think everyone is just a little gun shy now .
I'd love to try one thou!!

It is not an issue that has been remedied as of yet, it is vital that anyone running an EFR in a high boost application (meaning 25+ psi) run a turbo speed sensor gauge to monitor shaft speed. I ran the 9180 on my personal truck and had it wastegated more than 10,000 rpm below the said max shaft speed and it still exploded the turbine wheel and sent shrapnel through the exhaust.

EFR is an awesome turbo for the applications it was designed for, but we are hesitant to sell them to diesel guys.

ja_cain

Reaction score
What I want to do its not really configured right. A guy locally has a gt35r that would work..
That thing should light super fast and take care of business until the atmo starts moving some serious air. Interested to see what you plan on pairing it with.

I just got the hookup on a mustang dyno. My buddy said he can run my truck on it anytime for free. Just need to get some time to swap out my up-***es and pedistal so I can do a baseline run. Then it's a hydra and 38r. I would love to get data points for every significant mod I do.

Justin.D

Reaction score
I had been looking at a 364.5 FMW for my truck with around a 238/80 or 238/100 injector. My truck is manual so that being said would this really be a better choice? What specifically different between these and the forged wheel series turbos that use the 6 puck thrust bearings as well? Those turbos have been around awhile and are cheap.

Latest posts

Members online