Sacramento Smog

JMalmy21..00/7.3

Reaction score
Anyone know of a place that will smog modified trucks? Especially if everything "looks" stock? Got 4 trucks thatll need to be smoged soon.

Thanks

under pressure

Reaction score
Crazzy, they look for mods on a 7.3, here they just check opacity on Dyno rollers at 50 mph, 2003 and older 7.3s.
Didn't even pop the hood. Just scanned my vin.

Justin@DP-Tuner

Reaction score
What mods are done to the truck?

Good luck finding a place to pass something they aren't supposed to. They do not want to lose their license.

Around here, it is just a glance over visual inspection and then they romp the throttle a couple times. If no smoke comes out then you are good. They also plug in to check for codes.

JMalmy21..00/7.3

Reaction score
What mods are done to the truck?

Good luck finding a place to pass something they aren't supposed to. They do not want to lose their license.

Around here, it is just a glance over visual inspection and then they romp the throttle a couple times. If no smoke comes out then you are good. They also plug in to check for codes.

Thats exactly what they do up here. Just most shops around the area dont want to lose their licenses so the visual part is getting more difficult to pass. Everyone is starting to recognize the 38r's

1ofakind79

Reaction score
You guys are making me glad I live in PA. They just do a safety check on diesels. No emmissions for diesels at all.

Duzitall

Reaction score
I've had to smog my '02 twice now in San Diego. They plug into the OBDII, take a quick glance under the hood and floor the pedal a couple times.

Smoke will make you fail immediately. No cat if it came with one and you fail. CEL is a fail. Soft codes like 605 and whatever the other "not ready" code is are a fail. I always make sure mine are clear.

I would be surprised if your average tech called you out for a different turbo that looked relatively OEM. I left my open element filter on which is legal on a diesel of course but you wouldn't think your standard smog guy would know that. I was prepared to argue that point but the tech didn't even blink at it. I take off the couple other items that don't look OEM and put that stupid intake heater back in otherwise it throws a soft code and that's probably a fail.

Could you fail the OBDII even if there's no codes. Say from reprogramming or having a chip? That's be the big question for me. I've been out of touch with the diesel world for a couple years. I have never chipped or otherwise screwed with my OEM PCM. I have a spare PCM from Jody and change back to my stock PCM a week before I go in for the test. It sucks having to drive the truck like that for a few cold start cycles. That's life in a smog zone I guess.

Best of luck with your testing.

Fantom

Reaction score
There used to be a guy near my house that I used, but low and behold, he's no longer in business.

I used a place on arden way, not sure how thorough they were, but they found it pretty comical when I tuned the truck back in their parking lot before I left LOL

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.