school me on block fill and fire rings!

hunterER7

Reaction score
alright guys, just as the title states. im looking to learn more about this block fill and fire rings. i have a general understanding but would like to know whats involved. Any one have write ups on these two?

OR hell just school me on what you know.

thanks guys, EARL.

m j

Reaction score
block fill, I used BASF masterflow885
my block is at the machinist now getting swamps firerings done

hunterER7

Reaction score
block fill, I used BASF masterflow885
my block is at the machinist now getting swamps firerings done

how did you go about all of it though? thats where im at. i have an understanding of what it is and its purpose, just dont see many people posting what needs to be done exactly.

m j

Reaction score
The fill can easily be done at home. I used plasticine to form the water passages for oil cooler and water pump

gwunter

Reaction score
Yes, the fill can be, but not fire rings.

Why can't fire rings be done at home?? I'd think a guy with a good home shop setup could do it without issue. This is of course if your putting grooves in the head instead of block. Not trying to start an argument but I'd think you could do some test runs in a moch head fire ring attempt. Mess up on block fill and you just got a heavier anchor unless you find someway to remove it. For the record, I'll be doing both at home when the time comes.

cbf9703

Reaction score
Why can't fire rings be done at home?? I'd think a guy with a good home shop setup could do it without issue. This is of course if your putting grooves in the head instead of block. Not trying to start an argument but I'd think you could do some test runs in a moch head fire ring attempt. Mess up on block fill and you just got a heavier anchor unless you find someway to remove it. For the record, I'll be doing both at home when the time comes.

I don't know many people with good home shop set ups and those that I do aren't asking to be schooled on block fill and fire rings on an internet forum... That is all.

Magnum PD

Reaction score
Let the professionals do it. Too many things can be screwed up doing at home. You would almost have to have a vertical milling machine to do fire rings.

hunterER7

Reaction score
i had no intetions to ever do fire rings at home. EVER! the block fill i am interested in and doesnt sound bad. if i was more into machining i wouldnt think twice.

emev0l

Reaction score
From Swamps:

To prevent the engine block from fracturing at the main registers, & prior to machine work, the cylinder block will be cleaned and filled with HardBlok. During the block-fill curing process, we will install BHJ deckplate(s) and main caps & girdle to pre-stress the engine block in a simulated 'assembled' condition. This step simulates an 'assembled' condition, so that the block cylinder bores & mains are held by the block filler once cured. This 1-2 week process ensures that all machine work done to the block will not change nor distort dimensionally after machine work and assembly. A 2" void in the top of the block (the hottest area where combustion occurs) will be left unfilled to allow for adequate coolant circulation through the block. We have dozens of filled blocks being daily driven as street trucks, and have seen no compromise to the engine, even when used for towing applications.

While we do use a sealant to seal the HardBlok from contaminating the cooling system, we do recommend a coolant filter.

The block cylinders are professionally bored and honed with our BHJ deckplate installed to, again, simulate an assembled state.The block & head sealing surfaces are surfaced to a flatness and smoothness, which far exceed factory tolerances.

Crankshaft centerline bore is line bored & honed, with the main girdle & main studs installed.

hunterER7

Reaction score
From Swamps:

To prevent the engine block from fracturing at the main registers, & prior to machine work, the cylinder block will be cleaned and filled with HardBlok. During the block-fill curing process, we will install BHJ deckplate(s) and main caps & girdle to pre-stress the engine block in a simulated 'assembled' condition. This step simulates an 'assembled' condition, so that the block cylinder bores & mains are held by the block filler once cured. This 1-2 week process ensures that all machine work done to the block will not change nor distort dimensionally after machine work and assembly. A 2" void in the top of the block (the hottest area where combustion occurs) will be left unfilled to allow for adequate coolant circulation through the block. We have dozens of filled blocks being daily driven as street trucks, and have seen no compromise to the engine, even when used for towing applications.

While we do use a sealant to seal the HardBlok from contaminating the cooling system, we do recommend a coolant filter.

The block cylinders are professionally bored and honed with our BHJ deckplate installed to, again, simulate an assembled state.The block & head sealing surfaces are surfaced to a flatness and smoothness, which far exceed factory tolerances.

Crankshaft centerline bore is line bored & honed, with the main girdle & main studs installed.

are you able to do this or did you find this info somewhere?

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.