Screw Synchros

Buffalo444

Reaction score
I've got a old zf5 I picked up cheap... guy said it grinded going into all gears. I wanna convert my truck to manual (I have taken more than enough abuse from these autos, tyvm). It *could* have been that the clutch was not disengaging all the way and it seemed like worn synchros... but it's also possible that it was something like that that wore the synchros down in the first place. Anyway... can I bolt this thing in and get going with no synchros? I'm sure it wont be enjoyable at first, but after a while it should be learned, shouldn't it? What kind of damage am I chancing on the gears? Also, hope can I check to see if it needs bearings? Input shaft play?

on a side note (this is a dumb one) what can I do to get water out of a trans? Its been sitting outside, and I know it rained otw back from where I picked it up (didnt tarp it :lookaround:)

Thanks in advance.

Buffalo444

Reaction score
My syncro for 3rd is bad and I can't use 3rd it works fine if I put it in to slow down as soon as I hit the skinny pedal if pops out.

Why do they pop out with bad synchros? that makes no sense, but I'm not exactly well versed on the internal workings of these things.

Dieselboy.

Reaction score
It isnt the synchros that cause it to pop out of gear. Thats the detent springs.

Just grind em lol. Why not just hold out for a good trans. Or rebuild it while its out ?

Your just gonna kick the chit out of the trans.

ShorePerformance

Reaction score
check your input shaft for axial play you want almost none, some lateral play is okay just as long as it isnt banging around. 2. while the tranny is out take it to a shop and have some one look at it, or tear it apart your self. if the syncros are worn out yourwasting your time putting it in the truck youll just be tearing it out soon to fix it.

7.3psd97444

Reaction score
First of all if it got water in it theres a good chance on some rusty gears. Secong it would be stupid to run it without syncros. Take it apart, fix what needs fixed, get rid of any rust, and put some new damn syncros in. Itll make your life alot easier.

bad12jr

Reaction score
^^^^ what he said. These are heavy sobs to lay under and try to stab with out a trans jack. I could imagine doing an nv4500 with out one. Syncro kits aren't bad priced and well worth doing right the first time.

Sent from my x2 somewhere

Latest posts

Members online