SCT tuner

06Stroker

Reaction score
So im thinking of geting a sct tuner with my exhaust system but my truck runs great right now and i dont want to mess with my trucks reliability and stock eng. parts im not looking to make it a rocket ship i went with 18s and 33s so i want to get more mpg from what i hear sct is the way to go before i buy it what do you guys think?

Mdub707

Reaction score
I wouldn't buy one solely expecting a mileage increase... Mod for power and then if you happen to get a little more MPG, be happy, but don't plan on it. Especially not if you want to keep it reliable. Not trying to talk you out of it, just trying to talk reasonably about it. Don't have expectations that are unreal. If you do get something, just tell the tuner your situation and what you're looking for. Keep the tuning mild and you should be fine. There are certainly other things I would do first though.

How many miles? Any other mods? Coolant filter? Gauges????

06Stroker

Reaction score
Its got 55k on it with a little bigger turbo obviously im not looking to make 20mpg and 700hp but i was making 16mpg in the city i would like to go back to that i just dont want the truck to be finicky now that it has a tune and more power

Mdub707

Reaction score
I will say that when I added my tuner I certainly didn't lose any mileage if that helps. It is a lot more fun that way... LOL

What turbo on it now? Powermax or something?

teamheeler87

Reaction score
There are other things that will help your mileage besides a tuner. IMO there are steps that need to be taken before a tuner. Like CAI and exhaust. Anything that helps your truck breathe both in and out well help your mileage. Maybe even look into water methonal injection or propane. The cooler and easier you make it for your trick to run, the happier it will be.

yeehaw

Reaction score
there's nothing really wrong with the stock intake on a 6.0, but yes exhaust will help it breath a lot. I have never seen better mpg with various tunes compared to stock. Truck always gets 15-16 around town, 18/19 on the highway. If you wanna roast the tires off, yes a tuner is fun as hell, but keep in mind, the more you modify the more it is likely to break. I would maybe get a good tow tune from a reputable tuner. I run Matt's SRL tune daily on stock headgakets with no issues, but every truck is different.

Mdub707

Reaction score
Don't waste your money on an intake at this point, the stock intake is very good on these. Stay away from propane as well... no one uses that crap anymore.

Just call one of the tuners up and tell them what you want. FWIW, I've only ever popped my gaskets on really hot tunes, like extreme street/race, etc. A regular mild street tune would PROBABLY hold up, but there are no guarnatees in this. Guys with stock tuning have blown headgaskets before.

What else is done to this truck? Gauges? Exhaust? Coolant filter? How are your deltas so you know what shape your oil cooler is in?

Mdub707

Reaction score
You should definitely be monitoring your ECT and EOT, seems like everyone runs into problems with the oil cooler clogging almost right after the coolant flush. You flush all that crap out and it has no where to go but the oil cooler.

06Stroker

Reaction score
You should definitely be monitoring your ECT and EOT, seems like everyone runs into problems with the oil cooler clogging almost right after the coolant flush. You flush all that crap out and it has no where to go but the oil cooler.

Very true

Latest posts

Members online