SCT Tuners, come on in...

Extended Power

Reaction score
What is it about the different years of FICM that affects tuning so much?
Would it be of any benefit to purchase a FICM from a newer truck, or take it to the dealer and get a latest flash?

sootie

Reaction score
Would it be of any benefit to purchase a FICM from a newer truck, or take it to the dealer and get a latest flash?

iirc, the later flashes were the less desirable ones...

Reaction score

05-07 use a different PCM with a different processor then 03/04. With the PHP FICM tuners, there is one base file used for 05-07 and then two others for 03 and 04. 03/04 has a split based on EBP use and will throw a code for software mismatch if they are not flashed with a matching PCM/FICM file.

If own an IDS like I do, you can program any 05-07 to whatever 05-07 files you want. As long as the PCM/FICM/TCM all match they will run just fine and you have the correct Tear Tag code.

Extended Power

Reaction score
05-07 use a different PCM with a different processor then 03/04. With the PHP FICM tuners, there is one base file used for 05-07 and then two others for 03 and 04. 03/04 has a split based on EBP use and will throw a code for software mismatch if they are not flashed with a matching PCM/FICM file.

If own an IDS like I do, you can program any 05-07 to whatever 05-07 files you want. As long as the PCM/FICM/TCM all match they will run just fine and you have the correct Tear Tag code.

Good gawd, they just had to screw with everything, didn't they? (Ford)
So really, even if you have the FICM from a newer truck, it still won't help you if your running it in an 03 or 04 truck, correct?
I have the mismatch soft code in mine from running a newer FICM in mine, but tuning these new hybrids is proving to be way more of a PITA then they were worth.
I think I gotta bite the bullet and rip into the engine to see if there is anything wrong internally, as I have had four different tuners trying to help me out with the tuning, and have had next to no luck of making it drivable in everyday traffic without smoking out the entire block when accelerating.
Hope I find something wrong next set off, as I'm ready to just give up on it already.

strokin6L

Reaction score
Idk Ivan...I've used both 4 pin and 7pin ficm's on my truck both with ID ficm tuning with the same strategy with zero issues. I've also ran the 4pin with PHP ficm tuning with zero issues...and my truck ia an early 04 with all the 03 stuff. Idk, Eric has my truck tuned spot on. I even had Eric do a strategy roll back through tuning while I still ran the 4pin(05-07) tuned ficm...and again zero issues with tuning. I've also installed a 7 pin(03-04) ID tuned ficm on a 2005 truck and it ran great with no problems.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Good gawd, they just had to screw with everything, didn't they? (Ford)
So really, even if you have the FICM from a newer truck, it still won't help you if your running it in an 03 or 04 truck, correct?
I have the mismatch soft code in mine from running a newer FICM in mine, but tuning these new hybrids is proving to be way more of a PITA then they were worth.
I think I gotta bite the bullet and rip into the engine to see if there is anything wrong internally, as I have had four different tuners trying to help me out with the tuning, and have had next to no luck of making it drivable in everyday traffic without smoking out the entire block when accelerating.
Hope I find something wrong next set off, as I'm ready to just give up on it already.

If you have the mismatch code you need to have the truck reflashed with an IDS. They will do some weird stuff when the software is different.

To do it correctly, you need to find your tear tag sticker on the PCM. When the IDS auto identifies, the tech needs to select "NO" when it asks if that is the correct vehicle, then enter the 4 digit code, then let it flash everything based on that. Then read out your strategy with the SCT and have a custom tune built using that.

Reaction score
Idk Ivan...I've used both 4 pin and 7pin ficm's on my truck both with ID ficm tuning with the same strategy with zero issues. I've also ran the 4pin with PHP ficm tuning with zero issues...and my truck ia an early 04 with all the 03 stuff. Idk, Eric has my truck tuned spot on. I even had Eric do a strategy roll back through tuning while I still ran the 4pin(05-07) tuned ficm...and again zero issues with tuning. I've also installed a 7 pin(03-04) ID tuned ficm on a 2005 truck and it ran great with no problems.

The hardware of the FICM doesn't matter. As long as it's got a compatible file in it they will work.

strokin6L

Reaction score
My truck's stock strategy is different when tuned. So I'm assuming both Eric's and PHP ficm tuning I run is compatible with Eric's tunes for the rollback strategy

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.