SD swap project build

94.5stroker

Reaction score
Little back ground info I have a 94 with 238/100 s369 combo and supporting mods with a 5 speed behind it. I've gotten into drag racing and I'm tired the manual kicking my ass. So I bought a 2002 auto and a built auto and I'm gonna slap my 94 motor with the built tranny behind it into the 02. This will be the first automatic I've ever owned, so it will be a learning curve for sure. I'm hoping to get into the 500-600 range with this set up but I never got it dynod last year after I got it together.

I'm curious on a few things though, I think I will swap the accessory brackets off the 02 motor to help simplify things. Then I should be able to use the sd wiring harness and pcm. Get my tunes changed for the pcm and auto. I'm thinking while its out I will put a fluidampr in to take some of the vibrations out maybe help keep the bottom end happy even though I'm sure its not. Prolly throw a melling in while its off. So if I get a fluidampr should I get a sd one so that everything will have the same number of groves for the serpentine? If I do this will I need to swap water pumps as well for clearance issues?

Also should I go ahead and run a billet flex plate? Or just use the stock flex plate from the 02? Will I need to swap the bell housing adapter plates between the two or are they all the same? Are there any other issues to be addressed from swapping from zf5 to the 4r100? This is my first auto so I don't know anything about the 4r100.

Any other little issues or things I should know to do the OBS to SD swap? I can't think of anything that shouldn't interchange pretty simply but I could be over looking something. I'm hoping my headers will clear but I think when I bought them I asked if there would be any issue between the OBS headers going into a SD, and he said there shouldn't be an issue as long as its OBS headers to OBS T4.

golfer

Reaction score
easiest/cheapest AND best way is to get a PCS controller.

we run/tune/install a ton of them...

good news is you can keep your same PCM & tunes...

bad news is that the TCM-2000 was recently replaced with the TCM-2800, and we *may* have one left...(pulled them from our website when they were discontinued).

We're working with PCS on the harness & base calibration for the new TCM-2800...but based on their TCM-2000...that's the route I'd suggest

https://www.powertraincontrolsoluti...ts/TCM-2800_Transmission_Controller/TCM-2800/

controller + 4R100 harness is $940

shoot me an email if you want me to check on availability of either the (older but excellent) TCM-2000 or eta on a TCM-2800.

dave at swampsdiesel dot com

94.5stroker

Reaction score
You think that would be easier than just using the SD PCM and harness? Seems like that would be much simpler, and I could just get my hydra tunes changed for the 4r100?

Vader's Fury

Reaction score
Problem with using the superduty harness is routing over the motor will be different, the computers don't sit in the exact same spot, etc. You will be moving a bunch of stuff around or modifying the harness to fit how everything is now.

I agree that a pcs would be the best option.

Edit: i thought you were swapping the superduty harness into the OBS. I now see your putting your engine in the superduty.

I would just swap the motor and trans over and get your chip reburnt. Easy to do and would only require swapping the accessory brackets.

Although on second thought, I don't believe the OBS manifolds will clear in a Superduty. I know people will update a OBS to superduty style to run a GT38R, but I don't believe you can backdate a superduty to OBS manifolds. That would then require new manifold on the driver side I believe, and new up-pipes.

94.5stroker

Reaction score
I'm hoping my headers and T4 mount will fit..... I'll do what I have to to make them fit haha cause I don't wanna buy a whole new T4 kit and I'd like to use my headers.

94.5stroker

Reaction score
Haven't made a whole lot of progress so far but the motor is out and the obs is put back together. Melling lpop and fluidampr are here ready to go in also doing rear main seal while it's out again.

Need to get new traction bars that are for the shortbed but now I'm stuck on tires. I want to keep the 16" wheels for now as my play budget is running short and I just want to get the thing together this year and get it down the track. What is every body running for a street tire or drag radial that will be a good track tire but still be able to mount on a 16-7" wheel and hold up to the 3/4 diesel pickup? I'm not finding anything that looks real promising.

Attachments

• IMG_0226.jpg
    IMG_0226.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0269.jpg
    IMG_0269.jpg
    1,002.8 KB · Views: 74

Latest posts

Members online