Second oil change

TexAg56

Reaction score
Well my truck just hit 10k miles. The first oil change was done by ford so this will be the first time "I" change the oil on this truck. I had the "change oil soon" message pop up the other day and my question is, does this message pop up every certain number of miles between oil changes or does this message pop up when your oil life is truly coming to an end?

Also I plan on using LE oil and a motorcraft filter. Anyone who has used LE let me know if you think its worth it and how many miles you go between changes using LE.

Thanks for the continued help fellas!

JRLott

Reaction score
I'm a bit OCD. I changed at 2500 to T6, again at 5000, and swapped to LE at 10,000. I'll change filters and take a sample for 15,000 in about 100 miles. I'll be following Jim's direction going forward. My reminder never came on, but I think I reset it after every change. I think it's based on miles.

JRLott

Reaction score
I went with the LE8854 5W-40. Honestly, just give Jim a call or text. He'll give you the best advice.

Black AOD

Reaction score
Run 8854. Call Jim anyway just to hear his thoughts. Extremely intelligent in his field of Work (obviously).

I've met him twice, super cool guy.

JRLott

Reaction score
616-460-9949 is his number. Get a Fumoto valve to make sample catching easier. They're about $35. Ask Jim about transfer containers to make filling easier. I stuck with MC filters.

JRLott

Reaction score
I'm doing 5,000 mile samples and following Jim's advice. I think he told me it'd probably settle in the 15,000-20,000 mile range with the first being about 10,000-12,000 to be on the safe side. Jim is very confident in LE. Even though he no longer works for them and can recommend & promote any oil he chooses, he still chooses LE.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
What's up fellas!
Everything above is correctamundo!
The only limiting factor in oci on 8854, 8800, 8130, and 8820 is fuel dilution. Regardless, you always want to change good oil. And without massive amounts of fuel in them these oils are still plenty good at 15-20k. Probably more, I ran mine out farther just to see. My limit was the cracked block pudding coolant into the oil. Still got to 20-25k miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TexAg56

Reaction score
20k miles between oil changes? Pretty amazing and worth the money I just gave you lol. I cant wait to get the oil changed and see what the test results say about my old oil. Lol this will be the first time I have ever had oil tested in any vehicle I have owned. I plan on doing it often now and staying in touch with Jim. Thanks again

TexAg56

Reaction score
Jim, lets say this oil does last me 10k+ miles. Do yall think my change oil soon message will still pop on at 5k miles? Or will it onow that the oil is still good? Any input on that would be greatly appreciated

PDT1081

Reaction score
Jim, lets say this oil does last me 10k+ miles. Do yall think my change oil soon message will still pop on at 5k miles? Or will it onow that the oil is still good? Any input on that would be greatly appreciated

It will show up at 7500 miles. Doesn't care what condition your oil is in, or how the truck is driven.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Yeah, it's based off miles. No matter what the oil looks like....

CATDiezel

Reaction score
I'm a bit OCD. I changed at 2500 to T6, again at 5000, and swapped to LE at 10,000. I'll change filters and take a sample for 15,000 in about 100 miles. I'll be following Jim's direction going forward. My reminder never came on, but I think I reset it after every change. I think it's based on miles.

I'm sitting at 17 months on my oil change now. Still tests above average new oil. 2 separate lab samples now.

jcain

Reaction score
Just sent my 4,500mile factory oil off to Polaris. Will wait to hear Jim's suggestions/advice.

CATDiezel

Reaction score
Cat are you using LE?

No.

I won't speak ill of LE. But if you change your oil and do proper maintenance when needed walmart super tech would keep an engine alive longer than the door hinges last.

We run engine oil in $7 million dollar engines for 10's of thousands of hours and several years before we change it. And only because we feel guilty. Oil sampling is key.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
Oil analysis is the key for sure. But I would bet 1000$ you could take our oil out four to six times as far with similar or even better life cycles and save money on oil in the end. Ring coking in cheaper oils is easy to see as they then let in more soot and fuel shortening the life of the oil. And Monolec had proven itself time and time again when an asset is abused. We've had a few loaders have the oil drained out by vandals only to run without oil until the operator saw the temps rising. Seems to be popular in west michigan to try and destroy other people's stuff.

jimdawg185

Reaction score
And make sure you are using an ASTM certified lab. That's something that's killing my ISO 55000 implementation efforts at large mines right now. People were sold cheap analysis in the past, burned, and now want to just run cheap as oil and change it all the time. We have a lot of loaders out west running 2000hour oil changes, and are way past 60k hours runtime. The testing went right along a competitor. Who was removed from the test at 15k hours. They were using a cheap lab. And the engines suffered.

Latest posts

Members online